Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2001 5.3l true dual

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 10:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 5.3l true dual

I recently purchased a set of Pacesetter long tube headers, I'm wondering what I can do from there back.. Can I just do true dual and have it just straight piped? Or do I need to have some sort of back pressure? If so, what should I use for back pressure? Thanks in advance
Old May 17th, 2014, 5:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back pressure is widely known as a good thing, while you need some, you don't want much. You want the exhaust gases to get out as fast as possible. I'd run some sort of muffler if anything. And with longtubes, you'd be better off runnin a off road y-pipe into a single 3" exhaust. Will be plenty loud, and you can do a Y at the end to have your tips out back if wanted. True duals is a loss on the low end torque, you want that movin a big heavy truck, but it provides higher rpm gains, not really needed. Now if you prefer to have true duals then by all means do it, but better gains are to be had with a single pipe.
Old May 19th, 2014, 10:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by country_09
Back pressure is widely known as a good thing, while you need some, you don't want much. You want the exhaust gases to get out as fast as possible. I'd run some sort of muffler if anything. And with longtubes, you'd be better off runnin a off road y-pipe into a single 3" exhaust. Will be plenty loud, and you can do a Y at the end to have your tips out back if wanted. True duals is a loss on the low end torque, you want that movin a big heavy truck, but it provides higher rpm gains, not really needed. Now if you prefer to have true duals then by all means do it, but better gains are to be had with a single pipe.
I actually have a ypipe with the tips at 90 degrees behind the rear wheels running a 12" glasspack. (I actually was on here for advice about that last year) So I could run it straight if I run an off road ypipe or still put a muffler on it?