Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4x4 Question or Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2008, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Question or Problem

My dad’s truck - not a Silverado, but I think this is a general 4x4 question and I’m not going to go join a Dodge Forum for this. Just pretend this is happening to my Silverado!

The truck is full-time AWD - the options are AWD, 4-Lo, 4-Hi. In AWD, when making a turn, the rear wheels are not turning at viarable speeds anymore. The result is that they scrape the ground and skip like as if the transfer case was locked. It’s been my experience that the front wheels are the ones that lose traction, but I suppose the rears could too. This is expected when on pavement in 4-Hi and 4-Lo, but not AWD. My first reaction was to take a look under the truck for leaking transfer case fluid. It’s not leaking.

I let the truck sit for a few days. Drove it a few blocks last night and it was completely fine. This morning I drove it to the mechanic to have them check it out. It was doing it again on the way there. Mechanic said he drove it and it’s fine and that it might be a transmission issue. I know (kinda) it's not the transmission.

Suggestions? Thanks!
Old December 2nd, 2008, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 4x4 Question or Problem

Go to a dodge forum. Thats where you will get your best information at.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: motofabio
...I think this is a general 4x4 question and I’m not going to go join a Dodge Forum for this.
ORIGINAL: bubba33
Go to a dodge forum.
That’s a genius idea, bubba. I hadn’t thought of that. How about this - if you don’t know the answer to a question and have no relevant or constructive comments to make, don’t post.

Old December 2nd, 2008, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

If you are going to quote me use the whole quote . Who do you think would help you more say you got a xp problem. xp forum that knows more about it or a mac forum ??? Somebody may have a dodge doing the same thing as what your talking about.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

...I think this is a general 4x4 question and I'm not going to go join a Dodge Forum for this.
ORIGINAL: bubba33
Go to a dodge forum.
That's a genius idea, bubba. I hadn't thought of that. How about this - if you don't know the answer to a question and have no relevant or constructive comments to make, don't post.

hey motofagio, here's a constructive idea, why don't you ask the service department at a local dealer. wow, surprised a brain like yourself didn't think of that.
btw, i thought bubba's idea was great. it made sense and made you look like a total fool, which isn't difficult to do. you help in that regard quite well.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Bubba,

1) You can quote a portion of someone’s words, problems arise when you mis-quote them, which I did not do. I started the thread qualifying that it’s not Chevy and asking the general question for someone that knows 4x4 mechanics, which (shocker) Chevy makes too. Crazy, I know, but I happen to have one. And I specifically said I didn’t want to join another Forum for this basic mechanics question. You’re response was completely unhelpful.

2) You don’t actually think 4x4 technology is different among various makes do you? You're likening the vast differences of XP and Mac as being the same between Dodge and Chevy 4x4 operation, and that’s simply not the case.

fromdodge2chevy

3) Very clever with my name - come up with that all by yourself? I called a dealer first and of course they cannot say anything without bringing it in, running checks and charging me for it. You thought bubba’s idea, which was to not ask the question on this forum, was great. That is sad.

- - - - - - - - -
Bottom line, I’m asking a broad question that doesn’t HAVE to be Chevy. If you don’t know the answer, why bother adding to the thread? Just pass it over and let someone who has knowledge share what they know. If you’re going to point me to another place for answers, give me a reason why, like "Dodge 4x4s use xyz technology that is different from Chevy 4x4s abc technology, so Dodge people will give you a better answer." If you cannot see past the badge on the grill, maybe you should just read and not post.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 8:45 PM
CF Junior Member

[sm=bicker.gif] [sm=WTFsgign.gif]
Old December 2nd, 2008, 8:48 PM
Super Moderator

COOL IT GUYS!! any more, and this thread will get locked.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

At the risk of looking stupid, what is the differrence between AWD and 4x4 (as in 4Hi or 4Lo)?
Does either position include a rear differential locking device being activated?
If so, is it possible that the activator to the rear lockng differential is acting on its own, out of your control? Electric, mechanic, automatic? I assume pneumatic and hydraulic is out of the question.
What does the manual say is the difference? And what does it say is normal or standrad operation?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Not stupid at all - I appreciate someone stepping in with something that makes sense. The AWD allows for all four wheels to turn without locking the dif. 4-Hi and Lo do lock the dif. After driving it for a couple days, it appears that somehow the dif had locked up in AWD and is now back to normal.

Mod, please go ahead and lock the thread. My bad for bringing what I thought was a general question into a truck forum. I'll be back here when I need to figure out how much gravel will fit in the bed of my Silverado before the tires pop. Or maybe when I need to change the headlight fluid.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Question or Problem