Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

700r4 lost forward gear but has reverse

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2018, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 c3 no go forward

Having this same issue with a 700r4 in a 1982 Corvette. Yesterday morning I was driving through the parking lot and lost drive and heard a metallic grinding noise (like you didn't press the clutch manual gears grinding) from the trans area. So I shift back into park and try drive again = grinding, no go forward. I repeat 2 more times same results. Then decide to use 3rd goes 20ft and same thing, no go, shift to 2nd 10ft more and stops and grinding starts again. Now stuck in street area of parking lot I have to work 2nd and 3rd inch by inch to a parking spot. The only gear that it will move in now is reverse, will not budge in neutral and grinds in any forward gear. Going to pull it out tomorrow and have a look, but any suggestions in the meantime.

update- opened up pan and had chunks, gonna take and have rebuilt or swapped for rebuilt. Trans rebuilding is not my circus.

Last edited by Blue_82_c3; June 30th, 2018 at 8:24 PM. Reason: Update on post
Old July 20th, 2018, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown up

Originally Posted by Blue_82_c3
Having this same issue with a 700r4 in a 1982 Corvette. Yesterday morning I was driving through the parking lot and lost drive and heard a metallic grinding noise (like you didn't press the clutch manual gears grinding) from the trans area. So I shift back into park and try drive again = grinding, no go forward. I repeat 2 more times same results. Then decide to use 3rd goes 20ft and same thing, no go, shift to 2nd 10ft more and stops and grinding starts again. Now stuck in street area of parking lot I have to work 2nd and 3rd inch by inch to a parking spot. The only gear that it will move in now is reverse, will not budge in neutral and grinds in any forward gear. Going to pull it out tomorrow and have a look, but any suggestions in the meantime.

update- opened up pan and had chunks, gonna take and have rebuilt or swapped for rebuilt. Trans rebuilding is not my circus.
yeah forgot to update this thread tore, mine apart and found that some how that the sun gear that drives the sun shell had pushed past the lock ring and started to grind away at the front planetary gear set, .and separated it's splined drive end from the rest of the planetary result no forward movement. stripped completely apart rebuilt it and works great again. only thing I can think of is maybe that during the rebuild the last time during assembly the sun shell dislodged that lock ring somehow and took over a year to grind away at the front forward planetary seems like a long time for that though with daily driving. what's done is done and rebuilt again and works perfectly.