Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

97' 1500 Starting Rough

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2010, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 97' 1500 Starting Rough

I just had her in the shop for a tranny service. I finally have to put on the stock air filter to see if its my MAF Sensor or Air Filter is causing the check engine light to go on and off. Well the other day I started noticing really rough starts. When its turned over the trucks has a vibration and it seems to be idling a little lower than normal. Its starting to worry me because its not the only issue I am having right now. I just wanted to see what you guys think it could possibly be. Even after the truck's engine is a little warm it still does this. I cant take off because it lacks power. I usually let it sit for a couple minutes untill it goes away.

Any inputs on what this might be?
Old November 20th, 2010, 2:54 PM
CF Pro Member

when was the last time the engine has had a complete tune-up? also if u dont drive it hard try punching it and making it work hard to clear out the carbon build up, my wifes cobalt needs this once in a while as she drives like a 85 year old with cataracts
Old November 20th, 2010, 4:18 PM
CF Junior Member

Well I tend not to beat on it but will this solve the vibrations when starting? The reason I havent really punched it is because of my MAF Sensor being pretty much shot and the truck has a hard enough time getting to speed anyways...
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck does the same ting off and on. i was told it was the egr valve. mine is 98
Old November 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM
CF Junior Member

How much did it cost to replace? Ya one of my buddys said something about a bearing or crankshaft bearing I really dont know to be honest. It has a knock when starting cold so...
Old November 21st, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Pro Member

vibrations can be caused by uneven compression
try the EGR, i have heard of that too, i usually take mine out on the highway on a good hill and let it work hard, i just did it to a ford i bought (i know eww ford but it was the only 4wd unit available at the price and i havent stopped working on it yet) but i changed the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and it was gutless, i ran it up a good hill at full tilt and it runs like a champ now and it has 300000km on it
Old November 21st, 2010, 5:30 PM
CF Active Member

its prolly just bad gas
Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Im pretty sure its not the fuel i've put fuel in in a couple of times and its still running like garbage.. Now what would I have to do with EGR I never really played around or really now what it is...
Old November 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
CF Active Member

im not sure what your going to have to replace but i know its not to bad, maybe its the solonid on the from of the engine
Old November 24th, 2010, 7:15 AM
CF Junior Member

So the saga continues..

Yesterday I got out of work and of course the usual starting rough happened but now my check engine light was flashing... hmm... it was on anyways for my MAF Sensor..

So the later on at night I was heading home after the check engine light flashed again when started..

The check gages light came on and sure enough it's overheating! Pull over, luckily less then a mile away from home. The wasnt much heat in the hoses because I didnt drive to far. My buddys took my radiator cap off and sure enough no coolant in my radiator.. It looked like most was in my overflow.. So the my buddy noticed no fluid in my top hose.. I called up my cousin (mechanic) and he said it could be a head gasket and its leaking into my motor and down into my crankshaft. This could be the reason for the rough starting (crankshaft bearing) So we checked the dipstick for coolant in the oil and there was no coolant. So now I am completly lost. I ended up putting coolant in the radiator and got it home but now have absolutly no where to start ):