Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Abs light on.. what is this??

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2009, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs light on.. what is this??

Hey I have an 04 chevy silverado with 80,000 miles and the abs light comes and goes. As well as the brakes will have extra travel in them at low speeds and it feels like when your driving on ice and hit your brakes it makes that little bit of noise which Im guessing is the abs kicking in. What is causing this. Thanks
Old June 29th, 2009, 7:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try cleaning your ABS sensors behind the tires.
Old June 29th, 2009, 9:53 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to have the ABS system scanned for codes the the trouble tree followed to see what the problem is.
Old June 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

I know on my dmax if the batterys get a little weak the service brakes light comes on and if I let the batterys charge then shut it down and recrank it will go away.
Old June 30th, 2009, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys...I would like to try cleaning the sensors. What exactly will I be looking for to find these?
Old June 30th, 2009, 9:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

If I remember correctly all your (at least the front) are built into the hub bearings so you can not really clean them. Also the ABS light came come on for many many things other than the speed sensors so attempting to clean them could be a waste of time or cause more problems if you are not careful. You really need to know what codes are in the ABS computer in order to know what direction to go. I know autozone and advance auto can scan the engine computer for free they MAY be able to do the ABS computer also. I have seen many of these trucks with bad grounds for the ABS computer or bad ABS computers (EBCM). I have also run into a few where the wire going to the sensor were broken inside the jacket. Off the top of my head I can not remember any that had ABS lights for bad sensors. Al though I have replaced many hub bearings ( sensors built in) for having play.
Old August 5th, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the identical problem. Man i tell you it has been 1 after another.

Would this abs sensor if it had a problem cause your check engine light to come on? also my abs light also does not come on.

Thanks guys

Mike
Old August 5th, 2009, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try the ground for the module on the frame rail under the driver seat, its a confirmed fix on identifix, i have had mixed results
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot to mention that I have a 98 blazer.. Does anyone know if the ground for this is in the same spot. I could not locate it when I was under there yesterday

Thanks
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Originally Posted by mmiller0
I am having the identical problem. Man i tell you it has been 1 after another.

Would this abs sensor if it had a problem cause your check engine light to come on? also my abs light also does not come on.

Thanks guys

Mike
No if there was a problem with the ABS the check engine light would not come on but the ABS light would. You should post your own thread in the proper section with your symptoms and you may get some help

Quick Reply: Abs light on.. what is this??