Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crank but no start. I'm at a loss

Search this Thread

Old December 25th, 2014, 5:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Crank but no start. I'm at a loss

Okay so i have a 1989 GMC K1500 5.7 that i just rebuilt the engine three days ago.

So here is my problem, the truck was running fine and i put 175 Miles on it and everything was running fine. Today i went to leave and it wouldn't start.
It acted like it wanted to start on first crank but after that it would just crank over and it smelt flooded. i took all the plugs out and all the plugs were coated in fuel so i pulled all the plugs to let it dry out. I checked spark and everything was fine, and I'm getting fuel.

now after letting it be for a while i got it to fire up and run, but it ran like crap and the check engine light was now on as soon as it started.

These are all the codes I'm getting

•Code: 12 - Diagnostic (i know but i thought i would still add it lol)

•Code: 15 - Coolant Sensor Circuit

•Code: 32 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Failure

•Code: 33 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) signal voltage low

•Code: 43 - Electronic Spark Control

All of my wires are hooked up, I've rechecked everything over like 10 times I'm just at a loss now because this all happened over night, after i parked it from driving. I don't know what would cause all of these problems all of the sudden.
Old December 27th, 2014, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Hmmm, the MAP sensor throws me as I didn't think they had them. Coolant sensor sounds odd, but may have some input on starting or not. On newer cars, it obviously does. I wonder if something let loose (distributor timing) or if some shared sensor input failed and is throwing the others off?? Thinking out loud, hopefully someone else has some more precise feedback for you.
Old December 28th, 2014, 2:03 AM
CF Junior Member

lol I'm finding out what almost all my sensors are with these problems. but yeah it has a MAP sensor Duralast/MAP Sensor SU105 at AutoZone.com
Old December 28th, 2014, 3:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Okay so I have been looking up different things and I've got an idea on why the "ESC code" is popping up. My thought is that computer is trying to advance timing more because it is quite a bit colder out now.

when I rebuilt the engine I put in a (Elgin Pro Stock E-923-P) (Camshaft Specs - Elgin Industries : Online Catalog) camshaft, and the timing was set around 20+ Degrees Adv. when running and it ran fine, well when I got it started today the codes were still there and the engine was pinging.

I don't have access to a degree wheel so i set timing chain dot to dot, during engine build. Any in-site on my current theory would be great. I'm also thinking this could be causing the MAP sensor problem as well because vacuum in the intake is incorrect from bad timing.

Sorry for the long post. I could be way off base here with my theory here I'll be the first to admit I'm no professional Mechanic lol B)

oh I did go back through again and checked every connection and they are all good, even the ECM.