Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crank but no start, no spark, no injector pulse.

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2021, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crank but no start, no spark, no injector pulse.

I have an 03 silverado 1500 5.3 automatic 2wd that won't start. Engine stalled while i was driving it. when i tried to crank it, it tried to start a couple times, and then any time since then, it just cranks and nothing happens. At first, I found code p0336 and cleared it. Hasn't showed up since, even just before i replaced the crankshaft position sensor.

I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor, maf sensor, map sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition switch.
  • injectors are getting over 12 volts when key is on, but no ground, even when cranking.
  • Coil packs are getting over 12 volts when key is on and are grounded good on drivers side engine block (checked with continuity tester)
  • spark plug wires get 0 volts when engine is cranking
  • good fuel pressure
  • Tried resetting security system by turning on key for 10 minutes 3 times even though there is no security light on or blinking or icon.
  • Checked all fuses and only my backup light fuse was out. Replaced.
  • Swapped around working headlight relays to the other important ones even though i believe they all work.
  • When replacing the ignition switch, i saw an orange wire that was cut in half. It runs up the shift lever, but i assume it goes to my tow haul button. Just to be safe, i touched the two sides together and tried starting the truck. It made no difference
it may be worth noting i was making a turn when the engine shut off.

I just bought this car 5 days ago and its was running fine. It has 253,980 miles.

Last edited by Joe_The_Guy; October 29th, 2021 at 3:05 PM.
Old October 29th, 2021, 8:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_The_Guy
I have an 03 silverado 1500 5.3 automatic 2wd that won't start. Engine stalled while i was driving it. when i tried to crank it, it tried to start a couple times, and then any time since then, it just cranks and nothing happens. At first, I found code p0336 and cleared it. Hasn't showed up since, even just before i replaced the crankshaft position sensor.

I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, crankshaft position sensor, maf sensor, map sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and ignition switch.
  • injectors are getting over 12 volts when key is on, but no ground, even when cranking.
  • Coil packs are getting over 12 volts when key is on and are grounded good on drivers side engine block (checked with continuity tester)
  • spark plug wires get 0 volts when engine is cranking
  • good fuel pressure
  • Tried resetting security system by turning on key for 10 minutes 3 times even though there is no security light on or blinking or icon.
  • Checked all fuses and only my backup light fuse was out. Replaced.
  • Swapped around working headlight relays to the other important ones even though i believe they all work.
  • When replacing the ignition switch, i saw an orange wire that was cut in half. It runs up the shift lever, but i assume it goes to my tow haul button. Just to be safe, i touched the two sides together and tried starting the truck. It made no difference
it may be worth noting i was making a turn when the engine shut off.

I just bought this car 5 days ago and its was running fine. It has 253,980 miles.
My bet is on a busted/ broken reluctor ring Particularly at those miles.
Old October 30th, 2021, 12:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
My bet is on a busted/ broken reluctor ring Particularly at those miles.
I didn't think of that. It was the camshaft position sensor. Fired right up after i replaced it.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (October 31st, 2021)