Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2007, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

got a 2001 silverado 5.3L, and when I start the truck it cranks fine but seems like there is no gas getting to the engine. Then I try again, and then a 3rd time and it starts. I replaced the fuel pressure regulater and fuel pump relay and that did not do the trick. Fuel filter was replaced a couple thousand miles ago. I'm sort of at a loss as what to check for next. Any help would be great.

I searched for similar posts but haven't run across anything that helps.

Also I have a problem w/ my fuel gauge. When I fill up with a full tank of gas, the guage reads empty until I run through a couple of gallons of fuel, then works fine. Would this have anything to do with the problem starting? The fuel guage also was doing this way before I had problems starting it.

Thanks,
Old June 14th, 2007, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: starting problems

Similar problem here: 2001 Silverado 4.8 2 wheel drive 57,000 miles. Starts hard (usually takes about 30 seconds of cranking. I have done some research and here is what I have been told to check:

1. Replace fuel filter
2. Check fuel pressure regulator (fuel rail at the rear of the engine)
3. Coolant sensor (located on left head if you are sitting in vehicle)
4. Lastly replace fuel pump.

Am I missing anything? Please advise..
Old June 14th, 2007, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

the coolant temperature sensor? Or is there another coolant sensor?
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Coolant sensor...

Ok so I changed out the, coolant sensor, fuel filter,plugs and wires and it took right off this am. I was talking to a mechanic and he said the fuel pump either works or it does not work. He said if it was the fuel pump you would have issues when you are driving down the road. So only at the very last resort would I change that out. I got a price for the fuel pump for my truck and it was 300.00 out the door and that is installing it myself...
Old June 15th, 2007, 5:36 PM
CF Senior Member

They all have a coolant sensor. That may be the problem for both of you. What that will do is affect the amount of fuel going to the engine. Because new cars don't have a choke they run off all the sensors, the temp is one that will control the fuel flow. It could be the fuel pump. Some of them just start to lose pressure. Generally you will notice something driving or it will just go out. I do have one question though. How do you start your pickup? If you just get in and turn the key and start it it may take a few seconds to start. If you turn the key to run and wait 4 to 5 seconds the fuel system will build pressure and it will start better.
Old June 15th, 2007, 7:13 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: theuer

I was talking to a mechanic and he said the fuel pump either works or it does not work.
There have been issues where the pumps will be come intermittent ... meaning they can be working one minute.. then not ...then working again

He said if it was the fuel pump you would have issues when you are driving down the road.
That's not quite accurate ... they can also be faulty sitting still whiletrying to start the vehicle.
Old June 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Final Solution: It was the Fuel Pressure Regulator. $50.00 at Kragen Auto Parts. One thing I found is that when you pull the old FPR out make sure you get all the old parts out of the hole. There will be the little round washer/screen/and a bigger round washer.

VERY IMPORTANT: I layed a water soaked towel under the FPR as the engine was a little warm yet. (GAS/HEAT) you know the drill...You get quite a bit of gas that is under pressure that will come out. Use caution....

Starts like a chevy shouldnow......within 1-2 seconds every time.....
Old June 20th, 2007, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

I have tried the pressure regulator and fuel pump relay but not the problems. Where is the coolant sensor? I might as well try that. Any help on the location would be great. Thanks!
Old June 21st, 2007, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Well, I tried thecoolant sensor and it also did not do the trick.Then I went to start it this morning,turned it on, turned off, turned on, turned off, then tried to start it, it cranked for a bit and killed my battery. Thankfully I have a motorcycle I was able to ride into work, right now I have the truck at home sitting on a charger. [/align][/align]I am out of ideas now. Would you have any more suggestions?[/align][/align]Thanks, [/align]
Old June 21st, 2007, 12:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the fuel pressure with a gauge my best guess is that you have a faulty fuel pump; this is the most common reason for a no start condition.

The coolant temp sensor does not influence the start-idle circuit enough to cause a no-start.

The new fuel pump assembly includes the fuel level sender and will likely fix the faulty fuel level readings as well.

Quick Reply: starting problems