Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sticking it to a ford

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2012, 7:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking it to a ford

Comical-

A while back a buddy of mine purchased a brand new Ford F250 diesel crew cab truck. We both tow large campers. He asked me for my thoughts prior to picking it up. I recommended that he make sure it had 4x4. His reply was that, unlike me, he never takes the camper to campsites unless they have solid trails and couldn't see spending the extra $ for the 4x4.

Well, the other day, he was preparing to go camping. Hooked up to his camper, pulled into his front yard and gave it a good washing. When he tried to pull it onto the street, yup you guessed it, right rear buried. And unlike our Chevys, Ford owners have to pull a *** to lock in the rear axle. So after locking in the axle, he buried the left rear. So after attempts to remove the truck failed, he finally called me to pull him out. We are guessing that the truck and camper (still hooked up) weighted approx 14k pounds. God bless 4x4 low. I pulled him out of his hole and I barely touched the gas.

Lesson for the day, anytime you are towing something heavy and may possibly go off pavement, make sure you have 4x4. Nothing like telling your friends, that a 1/2 ton Chevy pulled out your 3/4 ton Ford and camper.

Build Ford tough, only if your on pavement!!!
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Well done, it's always good being able to stick it to a Ford guy
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you took pictures of the Chevy bailing out the Ford.
Old November 4th, 2012, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

Just joined the forum and already I think this may be my favorite thread!!!

Coincidently just went hunting and we took my buddy's 2008 F250 Diesel. Unbeknownst to me this particular year/make has a particulate filter burn off function which in essence overheats the engine all in the name of emissions. Pulling a trailer several hundred miles found us at 6 mpg!!!!!!

We were fueling at the end of our trip when a Duramax pulled up next to us with comparable trailer AND a four-wheeler in the bed; he looked at my buddy and said, "I love these diesels, I'm getting over 14mpg pulling up the mountain pass!"
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not to mention you have a much smoother cruising ride than he does.
1 ride in the chevy and he will notice.
Old November 11th, 2012, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

Oh yeah, I took a pic before I pulled him out with the two hooked up together!!
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

I like stories of fords being pulled buy Chevys. And I love the low range of my 205 transfer case in my 1985 1/2 ton 4x4. As long as the after market and Chevy engineers do nothing about locking hubs I will always have an older truck. Buy not having free hubs you are always pushing the rotating mass of your front end parts and your millage will be hindered. Locking hubs also mean that you can also utilize the transfer case low range for simple tows where you don't need 4x4 like launching a boat. As for the Toyotas and Nissans an overload leaf adds 440 lbs a side without lifting or changing ride quality as well as being easier to install then air bags.
Old November 18th, 2012, 9:23 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Mkenny71
I like stories of fords being pulled buy Chevys. And I love the low range of my 205 transfer case in my 1985 1/2 ton 4x4. As long as the after market and Chevy engineers do nothing about locking hubs I will always have an older truck. Buy not having free hubs you are always pushing the rotating mass of your front end parts and your millage will be hindered. Locking hubs also mean that you can also utilize the transfer case low range for simple tows where you don't need 4x4 like launching a boat. As for the Toyotas and Nissans an overload leaf adds 440 lbs a side without lifting or changing ride quality as well as being easier to install then air bags.
Hey Mkenny,

No disrespect what so ever, but I think you are a little miss-informed about the newer front axles. From what I understand, the front axle is not locked in until my 4x4 selector is placed in "Auto" or any of the 4x4 options. My transfer case is engaged when the "Auto" senses slippage in the drive line or when I select one of the 4x4 modes. I noticed a difference in the drag (ie how much I coast) between 4x2 and the "Auto" setting. I could be wrong but there is a disconnect inside the "pumpkin" of the front axle. I can't imagine where the spinning of the front half shafts make that big of difference. I can tell you my current 4x4 doesn't coast any differently than the same year 4x2 that I previously owned (same gear ratios in both trucks).

Additionally regarding using the 4x4 low range. When I pulled the ford out, I was in 4x4 low on pavement. The drive line of these trucks is pretty solid and as long as you are not beating on it, you can run in 4x4 low on solid surfaces (mixed surfaces as well). Again my disclaimer - you can blow up a transfer case IF you BEAT on it while on mixed or hard surfaces. But 4x4 low can relieve a lot of stress on the drive line if you are pulling something heavy such as a stuck Ford that is still hooked up to his camper.