Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

wont start

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 12:30 PM
gec
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start

02 chev silverado turn key on fuel pump starts but when you turn the key the lights on the dash and radio go out, wont turn over.relay cliks in fuse panel but starter wont turn pls help
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
gec
CF Beginner

Default RE: wont start

This truck has done this 3 times before but has allways started after leaving it for awile, tried going through the search but can't find anyone with the same prob.
Old October 24th, 2007, 1:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

if its clicking the batter/altenator is prollytoast, it takes way more juice to start it then it does to keep it running, the lights dimming is the truck draining whats left for life in your battery, my guess is the battery just wont take a charge anymore, and before when it did it, the battery was on the outs, but the Alt kept getting some juice to it, but now its finally dead

could be the Alt not charging anymore either and you finally ran your battery down.....the truck will run for a bit even if the alt is nor charging it, but it will eventually go...when you turn the key to on where is your battery guage reading....
Old October 24th, 2007, 1:07 PM
gec
CF Beginner

Thats the thing...truck lights are bright and will not take a boost...possible security prob?
P.s. thanks for the reply!
Old October 24th, 2007, 1:21 PM
gec
CF Beginner

This is becoming a dire emergency here...Its my neighbors truck (I have a 94...much easier ta fix!) He has no internet, we,ve checked the battery, starter wires etc. I wish I had a tech II handy. The truck has done this before and makes me think it could be security related. We will just have to sit here and drink my beer until it starts but by then we won't be able to go anywhere :-)
Old October 24th, 2007, 2:47 PM
gec
CF Beginner

TY for the help Malibumax, I checked the battery and alt with a meter and both were good...got the owner to roll it ahead and slam it into park...Truck started!...I asked him to drop the starter and clean up the connections and hopefully the prob is fixed.
Old October 24th, 2007, 5:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

could be a dead spot on the starter, and it wont turn and sucking all your power, let me know
Old October 24th, 2007, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gec

02 chev silverado turn key on fuel pump starts but when you turn the key the lights on the dash and radio go out, wont turn over.relay cliks in fuse panel but starter wont turn pls help
This sounds very much like the battery connections are either dirty or loose. They can look good, but still fail. There is enough current passing to power the dash and fuel pump, but not enough to power the starter.

Take the battery terminals (especially the positive) and inspect and clean them. Then reinstall them and be sure to get them good and tight. This will probably fix the problem.
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

My truck is doing the exact same thing. Ever figure this out?