Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

93 silverado z71 brake line leaking?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2010, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 silverado z71 brake line leaking?

Bought the truck a month ago. Brake pedal would go half way down before stopping. Brake pedal would also pulsate. Checked the resevoir and the fluid was down... almost on low. I filled the resevoir to the top hoping it would help with the pedal but didnt.

Took it to Midas (my friends gf owns the shop) and the mechanic test drove it and then lifted it up and checked the brakes. Came out and told me that the rotors are warped and that the back end was out of allignment and thats why my pedal was going so low. He gave me an estimate for $240.00 which included putting new rotors, turning them, cleaning them, and putting new bolts on the calipers. He told me that my back brakes were "half way brand new" and my front brake pads were good. After he was doing the work, he came and told me that my parking brake was broken (which I knew) and there was these clips or something missing off the brake brakes. He said that this was why my backend was out allignment and he was turning these nuts adjusting something. He said that after he got done with adjusting them that "my pedal would be up through the ceiling". After he finished the work and I drove it home, my pedal felt stiffer and a little higher.

Three days ago, I noticed that my pedal felt like it was going down a little bit further like before. I checked my brake fluid and it dropped about a quarter of an inch. I crawled under the truck and seen this fresh fluid on the frame right next to the gas tank. I rubbed it and smelled it, and it smelled like brake fluid. So I crawled under more and spotted a brake line, and it was slowly leaking right at the fitting. I am not sure what brake line it is. but its right next to the gas tank. I am thinking about taking it back to Midas and have them looking at it. It could just need to be tightened?
Old April 16th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

My brakes were worked on at Midas three weeks ago. I just noticed this new issue about 3 days ago... but spotted the leak today. During the 3 days ive drove it to work and school... should I be concerned about them going out if I drive it anymore? I am not gonna drive it anymore until I get to midas with it tomorrow. Its about a mile from my house
Old April 16th, 2010, 8:06 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is nothing in your brakes to make the back end out of alignment. The rear brakes could be out of adjustment. He turned the adjuster ( sorta kind of a nut ) to adjust the rear brakes, which would bring the pedal up higher. He either turned or replace the front rotors not both unless they put on some cheap Chinese rotors that are warped put of the box. Your brake line beside the gas tank is most likely rust through. This is something I see quite frequently especially of something that old. The proper way to fix it is to drop the tank and fabricate a new line that would sit exactly where the old one was. It would not be a good idea to drive it any longer because it could fail completely which would drastically effect what ever quality brakes you do have.
Old April 16th, 2010, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

He did say that my rear brakes were out of adjustment, not allignment... I forgot!

What does adjusting the rear brakes do?

The brake line next to the gas tank... I dont think I need to drop the gas tank and replace it? The line has a fitting on it and connects two lines together and runs up to the front into the brake master cylinder. The line doesnt look rusted either, but it doesnt look new, or exactly old.
Old April 17th, 2010, 3:10 PM
CF Active Member

So I took it to the shop and they fixed it. The mechanic was able to tighten the fitting and it stopped leaking.