Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

bed liners

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2006, 4:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed liners

Just got a new dually long box. I want to keep the paint looking good so I plane on getting a bed liner of some kind. I would prefer a drop in liner over a spray cause you cannot take the spray liner out if you want and also you can never get the painted factory finish back if you have a sprayed liner. What liner would you recommend. I need something very heavy duty cause rocks etc will be dropped on it. Best thing I can find is something like this http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessor...6_SIL_BLA&sid=

Any other suggestions or opinions? Thanks
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: bed liners

Drop ins will rub off most all of the paint anyway and trap moisture under them. Look to Rino Liner they can color match the spray in and will out last any drop in. They will also spray it up over the top rail of your bed if you want to keep from tearing that up also.

LInk not working
Old September 3rd, 2006, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

The fact that the drop in will cuase rust is this out of personal experience or you heard it. I have read alot of articles and opinions know on this. Mostly everybody says that if you are going to be droping stuff on it then you should go with the drop in liner cause the spray cannot protect from dents and dings. The manufacturer states that it will not ruin the paint but should protect it. I imagine it might if you buy the manufacturers cause it will fit in the long box perfectly. The new ones don't need to be screwed down and are slick resistant. I don't know but mayby the drop in liners that do cause paint removal are because the installer didn't but one it that fit well or the paint was already cut up or becuase it was installed incorrectly. The spray ones definitely do look better though. I have read stuff like this and heard numerous of opinions like this http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...1809647&EDATE= Of course if you go on a manufacturers site that makes drop in liner you will read this http://www.armordeck.us/drop-in-vs-spray-on/ and if you go on a manufacturers site that makes spray on liners you will read this http://www.linexwest.com/drop3.php?P...c8af2e97fe3d2e funny isn't it.

Right know it looks like I will get the drop in cause I will be dropping lots of stuff on it like heavy rocks, etc. and everybody agrees with this. I can understand why someone would get the spray on one though if they don't do alot of dropping. I think that makes sense. What do ya'll think. thanks
Old September 4th, 2006, 3:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Im on my 4th truck, first 3 had dropins, 1 after market, 2 factory, all 3 of thos trucks had the paint rubed off of the bed from the liner. If you think a piece of plastic is going to keep dents out of your bed from dropping heavy stuff in it, you go on and think that. Spray in is the way to go.
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

I agree with the spray on. Use Rhino Liner.

I worked in the oilfield in WY for awhile. We had F250's with drop in liners and one with Rhino liner. The Rhino liner held up and look much better than any of the drop ins. The problems with the drop in liner were things like they would warp when hot and rise off of the bed, somehow they would get pebbles and dirt underneath (I guess through the drain holes or something). Once the dirt got there, they would get moisture and start rusting.

I've seen dents through both the drop in and Rhino liner. The only prevention for dents is to carefully load heavy items and secure everything.

The Rhino liner is costly but provides the best protection over the life and is almost impossible to damage. I haven't seen any other brand of spray on liners so can't speak on how they compare to Rhino liner.

chevyblues
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

You said Drop-ins trap moisture. I just bought a drop-in, installed at the dealer. Deal was worked into the deal "My cost 150.00 installed". I am going to buy a Tonneau cover within a few days. Wouldn't the tonneau cover reduce/eliminate much of the moisture??
I asked the installer "after the installation" if they had to drill any holes, he said yes. I though to myself WHY didn't I ask BEFORE the installation about the drilling of holes. I live in CNY and am paranoid about rust. The installer used self sealing screws.

Should I have the tailgate rustproofed??

Thanks Stash

PS---Just for curiousity--how much do Rino linings cost?
Old September 5th, 2006, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

What I figure right know is why do anything with a perfectly good and newly painted truck bed. I mind as well just wait untill I see scratches etc. to get it rhinoed but I think I might have to go with speedliner cause that is the only one that they have locally. Right know and when I get it gets sprayed with speedliner inorder to prevent dents and dings I think I am going to just cut 2 3/4" pieces of treated plywood to fit the bed and with a hinged piece on the end to fold down and protect the tailgate from dents. This shouldn't cost that much and it should provide some structural strength to prevent dents because any heavy things dropped on it should transmit the load over a much larger area. When I get it sprayed I'll just keep the plywood back there protecting the bed. The ply might be ugly but who sees the bottom of a truck bed anyway. Best idea I can think of. I really do value your opinions so what do you gyes think. Thanks.
Old September 5th, 2006, 8:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Get a plywood product called Advantech, its alot better than even treated plywood. The stuff is almost waterprof and stronger than anything else out there, will last a very long time if that is what you plan on doing.
Old September 5th, 2006, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

advantech huh? Sounds high tech. I live in a remote area so I imagine If I walked in the lumberyard and asked for it they wouldn't know what I was talking about. Saw some pictures online. looks similair to osb but with a smoother finish. Any online places to purchase. Probably not. Shipping for two 4 by 8 sheets would probably be a killer also. Thanks
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Any reputable yard should be able to get you some(maybe not just 2 sheets though) if there are any large yards that carry it it would be worth the drive though. I have used alot of it and the stuff is very high tech as far as a "plywood" product goes, the stuff just will not soak up water, I spilled a cup of coffee on a sheet, it set there for a few hours, and I was able to wipe it off with my hand and there was not even a small stain, hell the surface was almost dry. I recomend it for all new constuction and any remodels in wet rooms(baths/kitchen/laundry).

It would be worth your time to call around if this is the path you are going to take.

Quick Reply: bed liners