Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

break lights

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2009, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy break lights

i have 2 problems with my lights. the first is that "none" of my break lights are working, and they all have new bulbs. my right brake light and my 3rd brake light were working a while ago, and all of a sudden don't work anymore, and the left brake light has not worked for a long time, but since i brought it to AAMCO i just discovered they all weren't working, that sucks. a while back, my left blinker began to blink real fast, up on the dash, thats when i found out the left brake light was out, bulbs replaced...no go. i just got done spending a lot of money getting the truck working great, had both cylinder heads replaced, fly wheel, and the starter. the 2 cracked heads i had really put me into financial problems as i wasen't expecting them to be unrepairable. so now, everything is good except the brake lights and left turn signal. i am hearing a lot that it is probably the brake light switch underneath the dash. i looked to see what it looks like online, then went under the dash and looked up the brake pedal to see if i could find it, but i didn't see anything resembling what i saw. a co-worker of mine looked too and said it must be way up there, and is usually right up the shaft up of the pedal. im really low on money, and aamco said they can do a computer diagnostic to figure out if its electrical or not, but i can't afford the 100 bucks they are charging for that rite now, and i don't want to be pulled over by the cops, and hate driving at night, i don't get paid till the 1st of every month and repairs already set me back to near nothing. can somebody help me figure this out? thx
Old November 11th, 2009, 5:36 PM
CF Active Member

What year is your truck?
Old November 11th, 2009, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

it is a 1999 c1500
Attached Thumbnails break lights-dscf0001.jpg  
Old November 11th, 2009, 9:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Check you fuses in th underhood power center.
Old November 11th, 2009, 10:48 PM
CF Beginner

Yea,or the fuses on the side of your dash. Go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts and they will do a dynostic for free. My blinkers blinked really fast one time but that was because I had a wire grounding out to something.
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
CF Beginner

here is the ( BRAKE ) fuse, its in the same condition as the fuse ( STOP/HAZ )

since they are in the same condition, the ( STOP/HAZ ) fuse works cause when i take it out my car door open sound turns off. what do u guys think
Attached Thumbnails break lights-dscf0533.jpg   break lights-dscf0536.jpg  
Old November 12th, 2009, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by olivia869
here is the ( BRAKE ) fuse, its in the same condition as the fuse ( STOP/HAZ )

since they are in the same condition, the ( STOP/HAZ ) fuse works cause when i take it out my car door open sound turns off. what do u guys think
Looks OK, but that's no guarantee. It might look different in real life than the picture. Swap them around TWICE and check the door open warning each time.

I was a dummy and checked my high mount brake light/cargo light sockets with a voltmeter because I didn't think it was working. Jammed the brake pedal down and stuck the voltmeter probes into the sockets - one on each side. Nothing. Why? I had just instantly blown the fuse (only one fuse for both the brake/cargo and the haz on my '97). The hot and ground contacts for those bulbs is top & bottom, not side to side like I thought. I put the voltmeter probe right in between the hot and ground making an instant dead short. Replaced the fuse and bulbs and all is well.
Old November 12th, 2009, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

why would i do that? they both have diff amperage ratings. i also noticed when i took the brake light assembly off, that the grounding contact is pretty dirty, and i used a voltmeter on the brake contact its getting power...what else could it be? ( this is for the left signal light not working ) the front left is blinking really fast just like in the dash. bad bulb? bad contact? bulb is new and seated correctly