Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Evaporator core or electrical sound

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2011, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evaporator core or electrical sound

Hey all you Chevy guys, I need to tap into your expertise. I have a 1996 Chevy 2500 Silverado.
After installing a new blend door actuator (recirculation and Inlet), I decided to clean out the blower fan area and check for debris near the evaporator core. I removed the blower fan and removed leaves near the evaporator core and wiped out the dirt. I also sprayed water onto the evaporator core to remove the dust. AC works great as did before, and the recirculation mode works nicely. AC system is 5 yrs old, with the exception of the evaporator. It may be the original.
The only problem is I now get a slow drip sound coming from the evaporator area. (near the very top of the evaporator core) It was never there before. It only happens when the AC is on. It is not the heater core as it does not leak, and I don't hear the drip from this area. I removed the evaporator bottom cover and lowered it 4" and watched the water drip which comes from the evaporator (as designed). You cannot hear this condensation drip as it drips into evaporator bottom cover. Also the cover is free of any debris so the water freely drains out onto the pavement as it is suppose to. I disconnected the blend door actuator as this drip sound may not be a drip after all, but something electrical. I can duplicate the drip sound with a very slight press on the gas pedal. At idle the sound is rare.
Can an evaporator core make a dripping sound within? Freon goes in as a liquid and exits as a gas, correct? I also can see between the heater core and the evaporator core spiraling wires, they looks like small springs, and appear to be temperature sensors. In any case, I think when I sprayed water in there, I may have did something. Any suggestion? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.