Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Installing Kenwood Dnx7100 (plus Ipod, Bluetooth And Backup Camera)?

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2007, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Kenwood Dnx7100 (plus Ipod, Bluetooth And Backup Camera)?

(For both an 07 Silverado NBS and a 07 Tahoe)

I'm giving heavy consideration to buying a Kenwood DNX7100 Navigation head unit. along with the accessory iPod adapter. bluetooth accessory, backup camera, and steering wheel control adapter

Priced out via ebay and Amazon.com, I can get this stuff for about $1250 delivered. Car Toys says they can sell it to me for nearly $2300 installed, or install the stuff I buy for $500. I'm not going to pay that much. If I can't get it installed for about $250 I'll either do it myself or do without.

Now I'm not the most DIY guy, but the professional installation prices are ludicrous. I have installed a head unit and speakers before, but that was in a Jeep TJ and this is a little bit different for a couple of reasons. First is the fact that I'm also attaching a bunch of other stuff. Second is that if I go the cheap route, I'm buying the stuff individually and am not sure if I will get all the adapters and harnesses that I got last time through Crutchfield. That definitely made it easier.

So if I don't go through Crutchfield (would cost an extra $600), what am I missing? Is it going to make the install that much more difficult?

Crutchfield also says that I need a GMOS-LAN-02 GM Factory Integration Adapter or I will lose my OnStar capabilities as well as warning chimes and the ability for the radio to stay on after turning the power off but before you open the doors.

Then they have the In-dash Receiver Kit and antenna adapter (both come free).

So all things being equal, I'd go through Crutchfield, but their stuff is much more expensive. So buy the cheap stuff and then buy Crutchfield's adapters and brackets?

If this was just a head unit swap, I wouldn't give it a second thought, but with all of the accessories and attachments I guess it's just getting a little daunting.

Anyone installed this unit/setup or anything similar?
Old November 28th, 2007, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Installing Kenwood Dnx7100 (plus Ipod, Bluetooth And Backup Camera)?

Paul,

i just installed the Pioneer Avic-D3 in my 08 silverado. i got it all shipped to me for $849.00 (this price also came with the BT, Ipod and wireless remote). as for the onstar and chime adaptor, i would go with the PACunit versus the periphial unit. i have read more negative about the periphial unit versus the PAC. no matter what HU you install, my only inner dash suggestion is, there is a plastic cage inside the dash that your factory HU sits in (it doesnt mount to it), that i ripped out, to provide more that adequate space for the HU, wiring and just about anything else you want to throw in back there. just an FYI i bought my HU from www.millionbuy.com, they still have this special going on, the unit i bought. i bought my OS3 (i do not have bose), steering wheel controls module, dash kit, antenna adaptor (however, a antenna adaptor comes with the PAC OS3), all for $300 from a local shop. the steering wheel control module, was a little intimidating, until i read the instruction throughly, and it was a breeze. my local shop was willing to install everything i have listed (including a sirius tuner), all for $350.00. i installed it myself.

i researched the kenwood unit versus the pioneer, and decided on the pioneer unit has the navigation built in. its one less module you will have to find a place for. i wanted the AVIC-Z2, but could my budget (WIFE)wouldnt let me.....lol. if you have any further question, dont hestitate to PM me.

Troy
Old November 28th, 2007, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Installing Kenwood Dnx7100 (plus Ipod, Bluetooth And Backup Camera)?

Thanks Troy. I like the Kenwood because it has the Garmin interface (that I'm used to) and is all HD based rather than DVDs. I guess I should just get my hands dirty and then visit a local shop if I have any issues.

Did you need any additional mounting brackets? Thanks for the input on the PAC. Looks like the OS-3BOSE is what I need and that it comes with the antenna adapter.
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Paul,

no problem, glad i could provide my .02 worth. if you get the GM317K from american international, it comes with everything needed to mount and install the HU into the dash, no other brackets are needed. its really not a difficult job, its pretty straight forward. like i said before, my local shop made sound like the steering wheel controls module was going to be difficult, and it was by far difficult. i had it hooked up and programmed in less than 5 minutes. again, if you have any questions, let me know, PM me.

Troy
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Did you put a camera in as well? Any tips on the best way to get the wiring for the camera out of the dash and down to the frame rails underneath? (07 Silverado NBS and Tahoe, both LTZ).
Old November 29th, 2007, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Paul,

i actually did install i cam. i pulled up the door sill, and drilled a 19/32 hole and ran 1/4" loom. from there ran it to the rear, and everything is good
Old December 2nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks!
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
CF Junior Member

How is the 7100? Any regrets?
Old April 20th, 2008, 8:46 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What camera are you guys installing? I have a new body silverado crew cab with factory navigation. What camera works well on the trucks?

I installed a kenwood ccd-900 and kenwood ccd-2000 on my two different 2007 tahoes. However, I dont think this camera would be easily mounted on the rear of the silverado.