Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Service Engine Soon (SES) Light

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlkSilv01
Quick question. Is there any way to check the codes on my 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 without a code reader? i know on some vehicles you can turn the key on a ceratin number of times and codes will appear.
Wait, the Service Engine Soon light usually means you have a critical problem, Did you mean the Check Engine Light? and is either of them even on? If not , you dont have any codes to read.

You didnt clearly say if it was on or not, just curious.
Old June 18th, 2009, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so here's the update. I bout a code reader from advance auto and it was the dreaded EVAP EMISSIONS code. gas cap was plenty tight. i took the plastic cover off of the top of the engine and seemed to me the purge valve was extra loose. i'm not sure if it is suppose to have some play in it or not but i took a couple lock washers and put over the bolt, tightened it back down and cleared the code. that was about a week ago and now the SES light has coem back on.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

IF you over fill your fuel tank i.e. don't stop at the first shut off and try to get that extra dollar of gas in , it possible that you have fuel in the evap system.
If you are able to remove any of the vacuum lines to the evap system and they have fuel (liquid) in them that is most likely the case.