Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Clock keeps resetting to 12:00

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2020, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you ever find a solution to this?

My car (2010 Chevy Aveo) is in a similar
situation! Originally I noticed the car wasn’t starting after every turn of the key. I would start the car and have it running for 15 minutes, then turn off and try again and with no luck. I then remembered the clock not holding time. I never put the two of them together! Is this a common thing with ignition switches, and did you ever find an answer to this!
Originally Posted by Brandon Aye
I have a 2010 Chevrolet Aveo5 LT H/B, so my clock is on my dash.... It keeps resetting from time to time (not all the time). It resets back to 1:00 and idk what could be the cause of it. Could someone point me in the right direction to fix this issue. Thank you.
Old August 22nd, 2021, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnny1
I had the same problem. Try cleaning the key with alcohol and a Q-Tip

Then reset the clock. Also, check the ignition switch. Your ignition switch could be worn or lose. It can also be dirty. Blow air into the ignition switch to clean it.

The key is not sending the single to the ignition switch properly and therefor the radio is not getting the voltage to the memory in the radio to keep the clock set.

I had the same problem when the Security Light came on and I thought it was a Passlock problem.

My key was dirty and my ignition switch lose. I'm going to try to tighten up the ignition switch and see if that solves all my other problems. If that doesn't work I will have to replace my ignition switch.

Good luck

Dont ever use rubbing alcohol on your keys unless you're positive there is no moisture left on they key. Moisture and a high voltage circuit =bigger problems! Use this instead. A locksmith recommended it to me. Plus, its fun to ask for at the auto part store! Lol
The following users liked this post:
Ladylilu (September 19th, 2021)
Old December 2nd, 2021, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Most likely it's the battery.🔋this happened to me too.

Most likely; If it's "always 12:00" when you start your car? It's probably the vehicle's battery showing signs of failure. 🔋 During the starting cycle if the battery's charge or cranking amps drops below a certain output it can result in a resetting of the clock. When a battery starts to fail you don't really notice it until the cranking process potentially drops the total volts to under *12v *the correct voltage* that also keeps the memory like the current time and radio presets etc. 12 Volts DC is correct..ish. *running voltage may vary from 11.5-14.2V DC.
**A good multi meter is all you need to check this. **
Old July 13th, 2023, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SemperChevrolet
Most likely; If it's "always 12:00" when you start your car? It's probably the vehicle's battery showing signs of failure. 🔋 During the starting cycle if the battery's charge or cranking amps drops below a certain output it can result in a resetting of the clock. When a battery starts to fail you don't really notice it until the cranking process potentially drops the total volts to under *12v *the correct voltage* that also keeps the memory like the current time and radio presets etc. 12 Volts DC is correct..ish. *running voltage may vary from 11.5-14.2V DC.
**A good multi meter is all you need to check this. **
I think you are correct. I have a 2014 Impala doing the same thing. It drags when starting. Going to have it load tested, but pretty sure that is the issue. Running voltage is 14.4. It keeps everything but the time. I have no ignition switch. Push to start.
Old January 21st, 2024, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Grayghost1951
I think you are correct. I have a 2014 Impala doing the same thing. It drags when starting. Going to have it load tested, but pretty sure that is the issue. Running voltage is 14.4. It keeps everything but the time. I have no ignition switch. Push to start.
did you ever figure out what was going on? Same issues here but a brand new battery. Helppppp 😅