Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

02 Tahoe Engine and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe Engine and Transmission

Hey guys,
I have an 02 Tahoe LT 5.3L 2WD Flex Fuel. As I'm sure most here can relate I love my truck, so I want to keep it as long as I can. This means eventually I might need to replace or rebuild the engine and transmission.

So out of curiosity, what transmission and engine would you guys recommend putting in the truck if you had to replace it? or would you rebuild it.

A while back I came across a thread were someone said I could get an engine from GM for cheaper than than rebuilding a used one, especially if you do a full rebuild. Is that accurate?
Also, is it possible or worth replacing a 5.3L with a 6.0L?

FWIW, I don't need to do anything right now. I'm just trying to learn so come the day I do, I know what to get.

Thanks guys, much appreciated

R.
Old January 18th, 2013, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you love your truck you can relate that out of any truck you have ever driven the 5.3 is literally gm's home run motor. You have almost 60 years of small block r&d behind that 327. It is in my opinion that best motor that has ever rolled off the lines. A 6.0 will mount in, but it comes with finding one(paying for that) and then probably rebuilding it(although you could find a good one but from that year group is going to come with some miles). Plus you are going to need an oil shek driving an 18 wheeler tanker full of gas to keep it on the road. Moving on to the tranny, you have a 4l60e. Out of the last 20 years it is probably one of the best light duty truck trannys to be made. It has its faults but overall is very stable and reliable. I would rebuild another in a heart beat. 4l80e is heavy duty and more than you would need. I love these trucks and mine and my dads combined have almost 400,000 miles combined. Both on the original engines. It is up to you but I think that combo is awesome.