Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

02 Tahoe Starter

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Tahoe Starter

I own a 2002 Chevy tahoe, 5.3 and have an issue. When starting, I occasionally have a brief "grinding" noise prior to the engine starting. I know this is most likely the starter but now also have a rattling noise while driving/idling, irregular, intermittant, changes in intensity, rhythm does not coincide/change with the cycle of the cylinders. I've never known a starter problem to include noises while driving. Is this possible or should I start looking elsewhere? Thanks for any help.
Old March 25th, 2013, 6:36 PM
CF Active Member

I agree with your diagnosis that you require a new starter. You should install a new starter on the truck as soon as you can. It is one of those things that can catch up on you. It starts out where it makes a noise and starts and then one day, you need a hammer or you are stuck.

The rattling noise could be many things. Hopefully it isn't the starter. I expect that it is a heat shield. You will have to get under the truck and take a look or take it to a shop and get it up on the hoist.

Good luck with your repairs.
Old March 26th, 2013, 7:19 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

Mulmur,

Thanks for the reply. I'll plan on replacing the starter this weekend. I'll also check the heat shield and for anything else that may be loose. Addendum to the noise, the starter problem upon start-up is intermittant but have noticed that it recurrs when the rattling is present. Who knows, maybe I'll find the starter is loose and it solves both problems. Thanks, again, for the advice.