Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 tahoe cabin air smell?

Search this Thread

Old October 17th, 2010, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 tahoe cabin air smell?

I have a 2007 tahoe that I just bought used and everytime I turn on the A/C it smells kinda moldy our something like a wet dog. After being on for a while it either goes away or I get used to it. Since there is no cabin air filter to change what else can I do? And where does the air come from that feeds the a/c? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old October 17th, 2010, 9:40 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The evaporator drain may be clogged and the retained condensate causes mildew before it can evaporate. Once the clogged drain is remedied, there is a product that can be spray into the system that will take care of the smell. There is also a rear evaporator.
Old October 18th, 2010, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where would those drains be? I do know that water leaks under the passenger floorboard(outside the vehicle) when the a/c is on so that one in the front should be good but what about the back. Any idea where the air comes into the a/c system?
Old October 18th, 2010, 3:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back one will drain right behind the back passenger tire - you can look up and see the small drain
I think it pulls outside air in from right at the base of the front windshield just like nearly every other car.
but unlike most modern cars there is not a cabin filter (as you found out and not good IMO). a good tip is to run the fan for a minute or so before you turn off the truck, with the AC off. what we do is when pulling into our neighborhood I will leave the fan on but turn the AC off, this will help dry off the coil