Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

12v outlet overheated started fire?

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2012, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Ford Cruise Control fires were not electrical in nature. The claim is, brake fluid leaks onto the switch (it is mounted on the master cylinder) and catches fire.

Thanks for reminding me though, I need to check for the new switch on my '96 Bronco. Interesting enough, I never found where any Broncos caught fire due to this same switch.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 8:13 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rubber flapper

there was a rubber flapper type device that was between the brake fluid (acidic) and a hot circuit... so when the rubber would wear out, it could cause a fire.

the rubber flapper design is stupid on it's own, but combined with a circuit that's on while the vehicle is OFF AND PARKED is just retarded...

here's more info

Cruise Control Fire Recall Expanded To Ford's Largest Ever

Hey; let's put in a fuse, but not bother to replace the POS part. no wonder ford sucked back then.

today, they took the feedback of their new My Ford Touch and actually, FOR FREE, upgraded all the old ones with 2013 programming....
Old March 24th, 2012, 5:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried it, I think the story is half bogus. In my G20 if the 12v circuit is closed too long it will blow the radio fuse, 25 Amp. So I m thinking her charger went looney and it was what started the fire. I leave my laptop on overnite sometimes and in the morning the panel is blazing hot. I unplug it and let it run off of battery power and then it seems to cool down.

I know SONY had a recall a few years ago about their Li+ batteries and a fire hazard.
Old March 25th, 2012, 10:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On Star??

A local guy with a '10 Suburban was having trouble with his battery running down overnight. It had been at the dealer off and on for about a month and the service manager concluded it was the On Star module.

The module was getting hot to the touch. Customer does NOT subscribe to O/S.

Of course, On Star denied their module was at fault, so a tech from GM came to check it out and while he was diagnosing, the On Star advisor came on (by itself) and asked if help was needed.

On Star module was replaced and fixed the battery run-down problem.

So, if an O/S module will run a battery down overnight, I believe it could also cause a fire.

Now, look at the pics in the original post again. Looks to me like the fire started in the O/S module area, doesn't it??
Old March 26th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tracking

perhaps he didn't opt out of the illegal tracking and voice monitoring

'Shameless'! OnStar tracks users' driving habits even after they quit service; it must stop: Schumer - New York Daily News

OnStar plans to track users even after disconnecting service

Yes this is old news, and they claim to not do it any more, but can you really trust a company that would even think of doing this? I sure as hell don't.
Old March 27th, 2012, 6:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yet another reason for replacing the factory radio.