Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 tahoe 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 9:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 tahoe 5 speed swap (pic's of project added)

i bought a 5 speed from a 98 zr2 i was told afterwards that the s-10 5speed shifter is at the rear of the trans and the full size its more near middle.im thinking that it will put the shifter to far back towards the seats.anyone ran into this before help would be appericated. i may have post this in the wrong area of the forum earlier and i appoloigize. tired of junky 4l60e's. want durabilty . i have all the other pieces to make the swap but this has stumped me.thanks

Last edited by 98whitehoe; February 14th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

How about using bucket seats or would the shifter be too far back even for that?
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
How about using bucket seats or would the shifter be too far back even for that?
well it has bucket seats but im thinking it would end up were the console is and make it weird when changing gears uncomfortable. im going to do some measuring if the rain ever lets up.
Old January 17th, 2012, 7:30 PM
Administrator

You could do like the early Mustangs did and bend the shift lever forward.
Old January 19th, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

well i have decided not to use the s-10 5 speed because of the shifter location. there is like 7 inches or so difference in where the shifter is located on the trans. it wont look right. i found a silverado 5 speed transfer case clutch assembly flywheel all for 350 what a deal. when all i need is the trans i already have the rest.the guy i bought the s-10 trans is willing to buy it back and i got lucky there also.im excited on making the swap. i plan on doing a youtube video of the swap maybe it will help others.i have removed the seats, carpet and console.and cut the hole in the floor for the shifter . just have to go pick up the silverado trans and install it. the hardest part im fearing is going to be mounting the clutch pedal where one has never been even tho the firewall is pre punched. just thought i would update as i go for those that are interested.
Old January 19th, 2012, 8:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
well i have decided not to use the s-10 5 speed because of the shifter location. there is like 7 inches or so difference in where the shifter is located on the trans. it wont look right. i found a silverado 5 speed transfer case clutch assembly flywheel all for 350 what a deal. when all i need is the trans i already have the rest.the guy i bought the s-10 trans is willing to buy it back and i got lucky there also.im excited on making the swap. i plan on doing a youtube video of the swap maybe it will help others.i have removed the seats, carpet and console.and cut the hole in the floor for the shifter . just have to go pick up the silverado trans and install it. the hardest part im fearing is going to be mounting the clutch pedal where one has never been even tho the firewall is pre punched. just thought i would update as i go for those that are interested.

that would be awesome!!!! I didn't think of it soon enough, but the 5-speed in my pickup has the shifter in the middle vs the back... I've never dealt with a s-10 5-speed so I can't confirm where they are typically located...

it sucks cause my 5-speed needs new synchros and everyone here wants about 800 to either go thru it or replace it with a bone yard one... :fail:

:chug:
Old January 21st, 2012, 7:53 PM
CF Junior Member

ok today i have installed the clutch pedal bracket and let me just say holy crap. man i think every wire, hose ,and vent in the tahoe came to the excact place were the bracket mounts and there are several other electrical things in the way. i fought threw it and got it in and drilled the holes for the studs and slave fluid thing on the firewall. then i put the pedal in the bracket and its cooking now. now im ready to put the trans in and i will update when i get to that point. getting close to complete but let me just say again for me that the bracket could not be in a worse location and damn thing fought back the entire way. took me two hrs to get it where t bolts up. how do i upload the pics on this thread where im typing for yall to see whats going on? thanks
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
ok today i have installed the clutch pedal bracket and let me just say holy crap. man i think every wire, hose ,and vent in the tahoe came to the excact place were the bracket mounts and there are several other electrical things in the way. i fought threw it and got it in and drilled the holes for the studs and slave fluid thing on the firewall. then i put the pedal in the bracket and its cooking now. now im ready to put the trans in and i will update when i get to that point. getting close to complete but let me just say again for me that the bracket could not be in a worse location and damn thing fought back the entire way. took me two hrs to get it where t bolts up. how do i upload the pics on this thread where im typing for yall to see whats going on? thanks
you'll have to upload the pics to facebook or the like to host them, open the pic, right click, copy image location then hit the insert image (little square icon with what looks like mountains and a sun or moon) and paste it in there and it should show up in your posts.

:chug:
Old January 22nd, 2012, 7:50 PM
Administrator

Or you can go to the Advance Reply and scroll down to the Additional Options and use the Manage Attachments in the Attach Files section.
Old February 8th, 2012, 3:10 PM
CF Junior Member

hey everybody not been on here in a while but here's the good i have the new nv3500 5 speed trans and new hd clutch kit installed . i had to buy arp flywheel and pressure plate bolts cause i didnt get them with the trans i bought and there discontinued from gm. trans went in fairly easy and the thing looks good shifter is in also. and now for the bad my orginal transfer case is the gm246 and its the (27 spline push button type transfer for the 4l60e). the new 5 speed output shaft is 32 spline. lucky me! i have two options here i done some reasearch and the input on the transfer can be changed to the 32 spline and i can use my orginal 246 transfer case or i could buy a 261 transfer thats already 32 spline and cut another hole it the floor for the manual shifter.the 261 is the manual and the 246 has the push button now as far as i can see it would be about the same amount of work .but i dont like anything auto except for a weapon! i think i would like the manual transfer in the long run . i read somewhere that the 246 are **** to have alot of problems.once i figure out which route to go on the transfer deal i will be ready for the road . i also changed my wheels and tires from 16's to 20's and there the offroad 20's to keep that clear, i bought a new grill for it and polished my headlights and taillights with toothpaste and laugh if you want folks but that **** really works and saved me aound 150 bucks for new lights. i have been taking pictures along the way of the progress for those that are interested but i dont know how to upload them correctly so i will have to get the wiffy to do that. i have had mostly trial and error with the project and theres not alot of information out there about the swap.i thought this thread might help others .

Quick Reply: 1998 tahoe 5 speed swap