Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 tahoe 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2015, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mybadz71
Do you have any idea as to which wires go from the old start switch of the 4l60e to the new clutch pedal switch?
If I'm not mistaken its under your dash my 98 Tahoe has a green and black wire and a black wire going above the steering column it should be mounted to switch with a rod in front of it that pushes down the switch when in park.
Old March 12th, 2015, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mybadz71
Do you have any idea as to which wires go from the old start switch of the 4l60e to the new clutch pedal switch?
Disregard that that was for reverse lights had them mixed up its purple and purple and white wires purple is hot when key is turned to start and purple and white is the wire that goes to engage your relay for starter
Old March 13th, 2015, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

Great Success!! You know when I did this swap I had no idea how rare the 98 chevy 4x4 with manual 5 speed was. And I say that for what I had to go thru to get a stock VIN, heres the story. So I went in person to the chevy dealership and talked to the service manager and lead tech, they said the only program options the have is to go off the VIN number, they cannot go in the programming and change individual parameters, HOWEVER, if I could provide them with a VIN from a 98 chevy, 5.7L, 4x4, that came stock with the 5 speed manual, they could program my stock ecm with that VIN, the truck I got my donor trans had the 4.3L v6, so VIN no good. (since the auto and manual ecm are identical, only programming is different). SO...for the last 4 days I got on ebay motors, cars,com, autotrader, craigslists looking for this elusive unicorn of a truck so I could get the VIN number. I could not find one in 4 days, THEN i got another idea. I went to the salvage website car-part.com, I searched for a 98 chevy transmission, found one and called the owner, got the VIN and ran it thru the chevy dealer parts section to ensure it was indeed the one i needed, BINGO. Took my truck to chevy this morning and got ecm programmed, no more trans codes, but I do have one code, P0704, ecm cannot detect clutch switch, so I got a switch from autozone, It is a 4 pin switch, I hooked up the purple and ppl/wht wire to one set of pins, truck starts, anyone know what wires from the 4l60e go to the other 2?
Old June 26th, 2015, 5:35 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
Here's the pics of the clutch pedal installation.
I've got my swap all done but now the Tahoe won't turn over or do anything. Only thing I can think of is clutch safety switch. Did you have to mess with that? Any hel would be great
Old January 15th, 2019, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default 96 Yukon 4l60e to 5 speed manual swap

QUOTE=hicksvilleshick;203683]that would be awesome!!!! I didn't think of it soon enough, but the 5-speed in my pickup has the shifter in the middle vs the back... I've never dealt with a s-10 5-speed so I can't confirm where they are typically located...

it sucks cause my 5-speed needs new synchros and everyone here wants about 800 to either go thru it or replace it with a bone yard one... :fail:

:chug:[/QUOTE]
I just finished my swap in my Yukon. Found out clutch pedal from 95 GMC or Chevy truck will bolt right in with clutch master cylinder. Use throw out bearing from the 98 and you will not have to use slave cylinder. Summit makes a line that will just snap in easy. Mine works beautiful
Old August 30th, 2019, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 5 speed tahoe swap

so i have been debating on swaping my 1996 chevy tahoe to a 5 speed and i was wondering if theres a way to keep the check engine light from coming on. Cause of the NYs admissions test for inspections
Old September 28th, 2020, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default I love it

Plz help me out, I would like to do the same to my 05 HOE, I’m in dying need thank you...
Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
Here's the pics of the clutch pedal installation.