Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1998 tahoe 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2012, 7:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Nice job! Hope it works out OK. I'd recommend cutting down the right side of the brake pedal to a normal manual tranny size to prevent "unintended acceleration".
yea i plan to do that everything so far is working great. its shifting good and smooth no problems so far but your right my wife first thing she done trying to push in the clutch hit the brake pedal at the same time and it wasnt cool on her part but i thought it was funny.
Old February 16th, 2012, 7:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
nicely done! what do you plan to do with the shifter at the column?

:chug:
not sure it would makes a good disscusion piece and it throws off people . do you need it? i plan to take it out.
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
not sure it would makes a good disscusion piece and it throws off people . do you need it? i plan to take it out.
ahhhh I was just curious as to if you were going to be able to just pull it or if you had to put a whole new column in...

forgive me if this has been addressed already, but are you running into any computer problems getting that all tied in together?

Old February 18th, 2012, 7:31 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
ahhhh I was just curious as to if you were going to be able to just pull it or if you had to put a whole new column in...

forgive me if this has been addressed already, but are you running into any computer problems getting that all tied in together?

i put the selector senor on the side of the 4l60e in park when i took it out . most of the wirng has no where to plug into since the auto is gone. i did run into a slight problem with my transfer case . see my transfer was the 246 pushbutton type. the transfer i put in was the transfer from the same 98 silverado that the transmission came from and it was the 241c manual the reason was that the 5 speed is 32 spline and the 4l60 was 27 on the output shafts.so i couldn't use my transfer without breaking it apart and changing the input shaft on the 246.i callled the guy i got my stuff from and he just traded with me. then i had to clip off two ends of the wiring harness form the silverado. one for the sensor for the 4x4 and one for the speed sensor on the tail shaft . my plugs were made different than the sensors from the form the 241c transfer even tho they do the exact same thing they are made different thats all i just spliced them in and it fix it . i wont say that it was the easyiest thing in the world to swap mainly cause i had nothing really to go by there isnt alot of information about it and i dont think two many have tried it hints the reason i started this thread im not saying im the first to do the swap cause im not but i think i may be the first to start a thread about it. saying that the next time i think i could do it alot easier . are you considering swapping yours?
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98whitehoe
i put the selector senor on the side of the 4l60e in park when i took it out . most of the wirng has no where to plug into since the auto is gone. i did run into a slight problem with my transfer case . see my transfer was the 246 pushbutton type. the transfer i put in was the transfer from the same 98 silverado that the transmission came from and it was the 241c manual the reason was that the 5 speed is 32 spline and the 4l60 was 27 on the output shafts.so i couldn't use my transfer without breaking it apart and changing the input shaft on the 246.i callled the guy i got my stuff from and he just traded with me. then i had to clip off two ends of the wiring harness form the silverado. one for the sensor for the 4x4 and one for the speed sensor on the tail shaft . my plugs were made different than the sensors from the form the 241c transfer even tho they do the exact same thing they are made different thats all i just spliced them in and it fix it . i wont say that it was the easyiest thing in the world to swap mainly cause i had nothing really to go by there isnt alot of information about it and i dont think two many have tried it hints the reason i started this thread im not saying im the first to do the swap cause im not but i think i may be the first to start a thread about it. saying that the next time i think i could do it alot easier . are you considering swapping yours?

oh no. I think I'm done shifting gears in my personal vehicles anymore except of course for my pickup... I shift enough in big trucks that I've gotten spoiled by the auto in the suburban... lol

I just didn't know what all wiring was going to all that and how it'd work out with the comp. splicing the wires is nice, just gotta remember thats there if you have to take it back out again. lol. good call at just swapping for the manual tc... I've heard once you tear into them unless you do it for a living, it can easily become a nightmare.

did you have to put a key in the crank or was one there already? didn't you use the motor that was pushing the auto? or did you take the 98 donor motor/tc/trans?

Old February 19th, 2012, 8:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Default 1998 tahoe 5 speed swap

[quote=hicksvilleshick;206920]

no key but i did have to install a pilot bushing for the 5 speed input shaft to ride in the back of the crank. i used my orginal 98 5.7 L31 engine but the trans ,tc,sensor plugs,clutch bracket,clutch pedal,hydrolic line,both shifters,front drive shaft for the 4x4, and the slave clyinder fluid thingy on the firewall all came from the donor 98 silverado. my rear drive shaft was the same length and splined the same so i just used it.now for the front 4x4 drive shaft it was the same length but different. the donor shaft from the 241c tc was the ubolt type and my orginal shaft for the 4x4 from the 246 tc was the splined slip yoke at the outut part of the transfer case. not a big problem i just swaped out with the guy i got my other parts from.
Old February 21st, 2012, 9:03 AM
CF Junior Member

mounting my new wheels and tires today .ordered a bull bar for the tahoe.
Old March 1st, 2012, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

so guys and gals its doing great so far with no problems.i have a couple of people lined up wanting me to swap there rides( yikes!!!!) i get myself into these things and just cant say no... im very pleased with the swap and it made my tahoe very responsive and maybe its me but it also seems stronger to.and the best part is that its has picked up around three miles per gallon and the engine temp is cooler than it was with the 4l60e. it runs at operating temp at 170 it used to run around 215 degrees. so thats awsome.anyone trying the swap im just curious.
Old March 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

I'm in the middle of this same swap. I used the older NV3500. It has an external slave cylinder. I just used everything from the year the tranny is and put it into my '98 pickup. I used my original transfer and swapped the input. Mine has the plugs like your push button T-case on the 4x4 and speedo. The 4x4 was my main problem since the sensor was larger in the newer one and was 3 wire instead of 2. everything else has been pretty much a bolt in. Only wiring I should have to do is clutch switch and backup light switch. The only real computer issues can be taken care of by reflashing it. If you dont you wont get the proper running or tunning for the manual. Your should be throwing a code since it reads feedback from the trans solinoids which are no longer there, and it should throw a code when you shift since it looks at engine speed vs road speed and figures correct timing of the engine depending on what gear its in.
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmlloar
I'm in the middle of this same swap. I used the older NV3500. It has an external slave cylinder. I just used everything from the year the tranny is and put it into my '98 pickup. I used my original transfer and swapped the input. Mine has the plugs like your push button T-case on the 4x4 and speedo. The 4x4 was my main problem since the sensor was larger in the newer one and was 3 wire instead of 2. everything else has been pretty much a bolt in. Only wiring I should have to do is clutch switch and backup light switch. The only real computer issues can be taken care of by reflashing it. If you dont you wont get the proper running or tunning for the manual. Your should be throwing a code since it reads feedback from the trans solinoids which are no longer there, and it should throw a code when you shift since it looks at engine speed vs road speed and figures correct timing of the engine depending on what gear its in.
yea my check engine light is on but it dosent bother me. my plugs for the speed sensor and the 4x4 didnt match up either but thats all. good luck with your swap.

Quick Reply: 1998 tahoe 5 speed swap