Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1st post. Wide range of questions - little long winded

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st post. Wide range of questions - little long winded

So I got a 1996 Tahoe last summer after wrecking my other truck. Previous owner seemed to take relative good care of it but is definetely in need of some TLC. It has a 6" procomp lift, 35" tires w/18" rims, custom hood/grill/headlights, K&N air filter, catback exhaust, and a computer mod. Recently I have changed every single fluid in the truck, put new platinum spark plugs and 8.5 mm wires, new fuel filter, new cross drilled rotors and brakes on front end, new window motor, new interior door handle. Will be putting new distributor cap and rotor on this week as well as new sway arm links with poly bushings. I also put an amazing sound system in it with 2 tv's and built in nav. Its nice. It still has a little way to go and I feel like its lost some power on the way and I want to get it back to good. The fuel filter and spark plugs was a pleasant fix. Here goes on the questions:

*What would be some other worthwhile fixes to do to the engine that commonly wear out or need replacing outside of what I've done.

*What are their any differences between a cheap and expensive throttle body spacer, thinking about buying one this week.

*On the passenger side inside the heater, when on, makes a clicking sound. Kind of like a playing card on a bicycle spoke. Any suggestion where to start on trouble shooting? I don't mind taking things apart on it.

*I want to put some new shocks on it. The ride is nice but some bumps just completely jar the truck. It does have the 6" lift. I dont know whats on it now. Heard bad reviews on Tough country and Pro comp. Not sure if I want to deal with the hassle of an adjustable shock like the Rancho 9000. All their other ones just go to 4". Any other good suggestions?

*Up to what year is the interior compatible? Seats are getting a little worn and I might put a newer year seats in it, if possible.

Guess thats it for now til I get these answered.
Thanks
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats on ur new truck. How many miles on it? Hope you put AC/Delco plugs in. Been a few lately that tried other brands and had problems.

Just a guess on the heater but could be an actuator that's trying to operate a stuck door and a clutch is slipping to prevent damage to the actuator.

Other items to check would be U-joints, wheel bearings, exhaust system, belt(s), charging and starting system, and battery. Might run some Techron thru it for a good measure.

Probably going to be a challenge to soften the ride w/ that much lift.

Oh yeah, how about some pics.
Old March 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Here is a photo shop'd pic of it. Just for fun.

Pushing 156k miles.

The bearings are a great idea. When I've been messing around the engine the belts seem pretty good. Pretty sure they are AC delco but I threw the boxes away.

Was watching a show on Speed the other day and they put new Dana 60 axles from a newer Dodge Ram into a lifted 96 ram and said it made a stronger rear end and improved mileage. Wondering if that same concept can apply to this one.
Attached Thumbnails 1st post. Wide range of questions - little long winded-jeremys-pimped-ride.jpg  
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What?!

is that a 6x6 in the photo?!
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah. Lol.its the best. A buddy got the bright idea to do that.
Old March 9th, 2011, 12:00 PM
CF Addict

Default okay

whoa, slow down there dude, you can't just come in here and post a photo of the only 6x6 tahoe I've ever seen and not post like 200 more photos and more info about it!!!
Old March 9th, 2011, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

lol. Meant to say its the beast, not the best. But my caption above it does state photoshop. I wish I could post 200 pics of the real deal. That would be something. Maybe when I get my next house it would be a fun project, obviously unnecessary or then again, completely necessary.
Old March 10th, 2011, 7:28 AM
CF Addict

Default ohhhh

i was just looking at the photo... LAME. go build it.

http://www.supercars.net/Pics?v=y&s=...X6Concept1.jpg
Old October 24th, 2011, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Hey I have a problem with my drivers door shocking me on cooler days,any ideas??
I have a 1997 Silverado 1500 and a 2003 4x4 suburban and both trucks do the same thing.

Last edited by JmG777; October 24th, 2011 at 6:50 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 9:24 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like an ESD problem to me. Maybe attaching a ground strap to one shoe would help.

Seriously if it's just static, that's just the way things are.