Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban Struck by Lightening, Look

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2013, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban Struck by Lightening, Look

We have a 2001 Chevy Suburban and while driving down the interstate with 6 people in the car, lightening struck and our ears started ringing....

Noticing that all the cars around us were looking at us and pointing, the driver instantly realized that the car had turned off so we coasted to the side of the highway and pulled over.
No brake assist and the speedometer was showing random numbers.

It happened instantly and the only thing we can conclude is that our car was in fact struck by lightening which caused all of the electrical system in the car to go whack and caused it to turn off.
We tried to start the car back, the engine will turn over but will not stay cranked. We unhooked the battery and let it sit for 10-15mins hoping that it would reset the computer but it still wouldnt cranked.
***On the car you cannot turn off the lights, turning the light switch to the on position turns the headlights off while turning the headlights to the off position turns them on. The back windshield wipers are going nuts and can't turn them off, etc.....***

We had the car towed to a local repair shop hoping that they will have it fixed, but may end up taking it to the local Chevy dealer.

Any recommendations or thoughts on what to replace, fix, etc would be greatly appreciated. We our out of town on vacation and would like to get this sorted out as quickly as possible
Old June 30th, 2013, 5:09 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
With a lightening strike there can be so many latent failures that may not show up for some time...
I would contact your insurance provider so they can evaluate the vehicle and at least get a record started.
Many of the fuses and switches could be fused together and will need replacement... I would not know where to start for a repair other then have your insurance co evaluate...
Old July 1st, 2013, 9:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 call insurance. hope you have full coverage
Old July 6th, 2013, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah dont have full coverage.
Chevy place and local shop were just going to try and throw money at the car until it was fixed.... saying that it wouldnt bring up any codes
They started with replacing the ECM. Is this located behind the glove box?

Long story short im going to fix the car myself. I think when the lightening struck the car the ground strap my have been blown off and the car isn't grounded properly so im going to check there.