Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.

Old June 27th, 2011, 9:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.

Hello members. I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I own a 2006 Chevy Suburban 1500 LT. The 2nd row bench has a 1/3 - 2/3 configuration as a split bench. The 1/3 part is supposed to slide forward to allow passengers into the 3rd row. This no longer works. I have an idea of how it should work, but I still have not figured out how the brake clamps are released to allow it to slide. I should say, the brake clamp closest to the door side is released when you pull up on the wire going across the seat, but the far side one near the middle still doesn't move. Regardless, when the seat is put back in place, nothing makes it move. I have provided some photo's of the area to see if that may help some of you resolve my issue. The close up clearly shows a black plastic part that is broken. I am sure that is part of the problem. Is it a part that can be replaced or is that not possible and it will have to be the whole bench. Our kids are getting by in the mean time by lifting up the seat and folding forward the back rest and then climbing over what is there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Kinnup7
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.-img_1040.jpg   2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.-img_1041.jpg   2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.-img_1042.jpg  
Old June 27th, 2011, 4:05 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt you can get that part separately but doesn't hurt to check w/ your parts dept. Might take the pics w/ you. Salvage yard is next stop if parts doesn't have.
Old August 30th, 2011, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

I don't know if you have this fixed yet, but the same part failed on my 2003 Suburban. The part is only available with the entire seat track. I can't remember what my dealer wanted for the part, but I know it was upwards of $150.

This is a bit of a design flaw; the plastic part that broke is a highly stressed component.

A co-worker and I have been designing a replacement part milled from aluminum. I installed our first prototype last night and so far, it's working great. Obviously, only time will tell if this is a long term solution.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dmtriggs
I don't know if you have this fixed yet, but the same part failed on my 2003 Suburban. The part is only available with the entire seat track. I can't remember what my dealer wanted for the part, but I know it was upwards of $150.

This is a bit of a design flaw; the plastic part that broke is a highly stressed component.

A co-worker and I have been designing a replacement part milled from aluminum. I installed our first prototype last night and so far, it's working great. Obviously, only time will tell if this is a long term solution.
Hi....I have the same problem with the broken plastic part on a 2005 Suburban. Did your remade part hold up? If so, did you happen to make any extras that I can buy from you? Given the fact that you can't buy the part and gluing won't hold, I'm looking for a workable solution.

Thanks,
Scott Inman
Old February 16th, 2014, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.

Hello all,

Just bought my 2005 Suburban LS yesterday with this very problem. Just joined the forum because on my very first google search for this problem I found the photos for the answer.

I used heavy picture hanging wire to just synch the cable back in place where the cap had busted off. It looks like the previous owner had kids that dumped so much cool aid, soda, and gummies that it just broke under the pressure.

Anyway, some white lithium and hanging wire did the trick. We will see how long that lasts with two kids getting in there every time they ride.

Thanks!
Old February 21st, 2014, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abrams1997
Hello all,

Just bought my 2005 Suburban LS yesterday with this very problem. Just joined the forum because on my very first google search for this problem I found the photos for the answer.

I used heavy picture hanging wire to just synch the cable back in place where the cap had busted off. It looks like the previous owner had kids that dumped so much cool aid, soda, and gummies that it just broke under the pressure.

Anyway, some white lithium and hanging wire did the trick. We will see how long that lasts with two kids getting in there every time they ride.

Thanks!
any pic of your solution? I have same issue with my 05 burb and cannot identify that broken part to order one
Old February 22nd, 2014, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gpeiffer
any pic of your solution? I have same issue with my 05 burb and cannot identify that broken part to order one
I will get some loaded this weekend. I have a big day happening for one of my children and will get some to you. It was a simple fix.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 9:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not offering this as a solution, just sayin'....

My kids were 7, 5, and 5 (twins) when we got our first Burb (the 01). I don't think we EVER used that seat release. Being kids, they were happy to just climb over the seat, and I taught/trained them to do it so their shoes never contacted the seats. They're now 15, 13 and 13, and still do it, though they don't have to in the 08 because it has 2nd row buckets.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by abrams1997
I will get some loaded this weekend. I have a big day happening for one of my children and will get some to you. It was a simple fix.
can you share any pixs with me as well? I have been looking for a solution that goes beyond replacing the plastic part from junkyard - it will likely just break again.

Thanks,
Scott Inman
Old February 24th, 2014, 5:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, im looking forward to finding a fix for this
The following users liked this post:
calidude (September 25th, 2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.