Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban second row seat won't slide

I have a quick low or no cost fix to the second seat not sliding problem....Remove the spring and plastic cam part and cable that goes both to the seat back and release lever. Install a wire rope with either wire clamps or cable seals if you have the tool. See the picture. You replace the bolt into the lower cam that moves the claw out to release the seat. this will allow you to slide the seat easily. If you want to lower the seat in the cargo position, just unhook the loop you made on the back end and the seat back will lower to the folded over seat bottom. It takes only a second to unhook the loop. Then replace the loop when completed using the cargo loading position. You will not need the upper cam part for any reason....See attached picture, oops, its upside down, but you can see how it works..... You can get the wire rope at Lowes, Homedepot, ,etc by the ft. I bought 2 feet and cut it. Total cost $4.65.

p.s. also remove the cable to the seat bottom from the plastic cam as shown in the picture and just let it sit under the cover that you took off to get to the release mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Suburban 2nd row bench seat won't slide.-20170303_110606.jpg  

Last edited by kgass; March 3rd, 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old July 27th, 2017, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

want to buy proto type alumnium piece to replace plastic piece
Old September 7th, 2017, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

I appreciate the pics. I was able to fix the plastic piece by doing a little plastic welding. Having some issues reinstalling and getting it to work right. There seems to be too much slack in the cables to release the slide latch, hopefully I can find more info on how this is supposed to work properly. I'll try kgass's method, but also would love to just buy the aluminum prototype

Last edited by Phil Barton; September 7th, 2017 at 5:16 PM.
Old September 15th, 2017, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default fixed 2nd row slider

tried all that was suggested and nothing worked for long. found a repair kit at http://www.huffline.com and it works great. also had the lower plastic part stripped and was able to send it in and they replaced it with a new steel assembly. hope this helps other with the frustrating issue.

https://huffline.com/shop?olsFocus=f...oducts/2nd-row
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good to see that someone finally came up with the answer to this problem after the last several years of people working on it. Thanks again for providing your information on the solution.
Old July 16th, 2019, 11:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdavid
On my 2005 Suburban, the plastic cam was broken when I got it as well. After looking at the setup, I realized that the cable coming from the front only seems to be there to keep the seat-back and base from sliding forward when the seat bottom is tilted forward - so basically not needed... So all I did was take 3 1/4" fender washers, drill out the center-hole to match the size of the bolt that holds the eyelet for the cable going to the right-side track, then drill a smaller hole to fit the cylinder-shaped cable-end piece that pulls when the seat-back is tilted forward - this just needs to be drilled through the 3 washers about 1/4" from the center hole. Then I cut a wedge out of one of the washers from the outer-edge to the small hole. Then it was just a matter of using one of the washers without the wedge on the bottom, then the one with the wedge removed, place the cable-end in the hole/wedge of the two washers, then the other washer with the hole goes on top engaging the other end of the cable-end cylinder in the small hole in that top washer locking the cable in place with the cable free to move within the wedge cut out of the center washer. Then just put the screw through the washers, then through the eyelet of the cable going to the right track and screw it in to the hole in the cam for the left track release. I just left the cable going to the front there with the old broken plastic piece attached and put the plastic cover back over the cam assembly. So far this has worked fine - no problem with the seat-back sliding forward - once you fold the seat-back down to create the cargo floor, the headrest is up against the tumbled-forward seat-bottom anyway and it wont slide forward - the worst-case scenario so far seems to be that you might need to push the seat-back backward a couple of inches before folding it all the way down. Total cost - about 30 cents.
Do you pics you can share?
The following users liked this post:
calidude (September 25th, 2022)
Old September 25th, 2022, 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

I’m looking for a replacement steel piece and the eBay and huffline.com domain are gone… does anyone know of a fix that is still available?
Old September 25th, 2022, 11:29 PM
CF Beginner

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40376236565...mis&media=COPY

found it for the next guy
Old September 26th, 2022, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Good find.