Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2015, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Tahoe crack dash board

Please help me get some resolution.. 2011 Tahoe LTZ71 40,192 miles I take extremely good car of my vehicles this is like show room condition still. This crack on my dash board is horrible and disappointing .... Bottom right corner of defrost vent to the top left corner of airbag. This is definitely a manufacture defect and is terrible thT GM is not standing behind this $54,000++ vehicle... I'm thinking that now I found this forum I'm not stopping until they replace it and make it safe and look new like its suppose. There is obviously a ton of issues that should of had a red flag and plan in place... Instead they are making their customers pay for their lack of quality. If anyone could provide me with any contact info to help or would be so kind to give me a copy of receipt were GM has repaired and no cost I would greatly appreciate your assistance! Thanks for taking the time to listen to my frustrations!
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:13 PM
CF Junior Member

Well add me to the list of another dash cracked. 2011 Suburban Z71 with 75k miles on it. Crack is the top left of the air bag area, going to the windshield area.

Kind of amazing with 125 pages on this forum alone, Chevrolet has refused to fix these issues.

I went to the dealership, and they knew exactly what I was talking about. They said it would be $1000 fix, and they'd only cover $500. I get that I'm out of warranty, but this is obviously an issue that is widespread and needs to be fixed.

Very frustrated.
Old February 11th, 2015, 6:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All discussion aside about how poorly GM is handling this (your points are all 100% valid, and have been reiterated in tens of thousands of posts by upset GM and ex GM owners, and to this authors amazement, they have elected NOT to step up and handle this problem correctly).

There are a number of posts in here by GM representatives who can query GM customer service. You can also contact GM customer service directly. They will ask you to take it to a dealer of your choice and fall on your knees to beg for mercy.

At that point, its entirely up to the dealer as to what level of coverage if any they will offer to fix it. Some have received no support, others have seemed to receive split cost, which amounts to about $500 out of pocket, a few have had their dealer cover it entirely.

Now, it should also be noted that since GM has denied any faults of this dash design, and is pretty much saying its YOUR fault for throwing all those heavy valet tickets on it, your replacement dash that you will pay between $0-$1500 for could and will also likely crack in the exact same places as your existing dash.

It would be smarter and less expensive to visit a local automotive trim shop and have them remove the dash, stiffen the underside with fiberglass weave, then cover it in a nice matching vinyl. I was quoted < $500 for that from a shop here in Atlanta. This would solve your problem once and for all and is probably the route i will take if I keep the vehicle. This would also keep undeserved $$ OUT of GM's grubby paws while completely solving the problem.

Last edited by gruvenparts.com; February 11th, 2015 at 6:48 AM.
Old February 12th, 2015, 5:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by gruvenparts.com
All discussion aside about how poorly GM is handling this (your points are all 100% valid, and have been reiterated in tens of thousands of posts by upset GM and ex GM owners, and to this authors amazement, they have elected NOT to step up and handle this problem correctly).

There are a number of posts in here by GM representatives who can query GM customer service. You can also contact GM customer service directly. They will ask you to take it to a dealer of your choice and fall on your knees to beg for mercy.

At that point, its entirely up to the dealer as to what level of coverage if any they will offer to fix it. Some have received no support, others have seemed to receive split cost, which amounts to about $500 out of pocket, a few have had their dealer cover it entirely.

Now, it should also be noted that since GM has denied any faults of this dash design, and is pretty much saying its YOUR fault for throwing all those heavy valet tickets on it, your replacement dash that you will pay between $0-$1500 for could and will also likely crack in the exact same places as your existing dash.

It would be smarter and less expensive to visit a local automotive trim shop and have them remove the dash, stiffen the underside with fiberglass weave, then cover it in a nice matching vinyl. I was quoted < $500 for that from a shop here in Atlanta. This would solve your problem once and for all and is probably the route i will take if I keep the vehicle. This would also keep undeserved $$ OUT of GM's grubby paws while completely solving the problem.
Or just sell the piece of **** GM vehicle and buy another brand and tell your friends about the company that doesn't show any accountability, whether it's their cars or the way they run their company (09' bailouts ).

Which is the action me and several other friends, family members and coworkers are taking.
Old February 12th, 2015, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cracked dashboard defect

I have owned 2 Suburbans, 1 Escalade, 2 Tahoe in the last 10 yrs. All cars have mechanical issues unique to the model, whether it's brakes, shocks, electrical, we all accept them for the most part and move on. The problem with this particular defect is that it's very visible to all of us and happens sooner or later on all of them on model year 2007 to 2011. As a result, GM creates an enormous amount of hostility from loyal customers because of the unique nature of the defect. Especially if you keep your truck clean and care about it looking good, which if you own it personally most of us do. So if a GM rep is reading these posts I would tell them that whomever is making this 'business decision' within GM hoping that it will eventually go away is miscalculating the level of acrimony among loyal customers it's creating. Because you look at it everyday and reminded no matter how well you take care of your vehicle. From a business owner. bad business decision GM.
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

This.

Originally Posted by sarlor
i have owned 2 suburbans, 1 escalade, 2 tahoe in the last 10 yrs. All cars have mechanical issues unique to the model, whether it's brakes, shocks, electrical, we all accept them for the most part and move on. The problem with this particular defect is that it's very visible to all of us and happens sooner or later on all of them on model year 2007 to 2011. As a result, gm creates an enormous amount of hostility from loyal customers because of the unique nature of the defect. Especially if you keep your truck clean and care about it looking good, which if you own it personally most of us do. So if a gm rep is reading these posts i would tell them that whomever is making this 'business decision' within gm hoping that it will eventually go away is miscalculating the level of acrimony among loyal customers it's creating. Because you look at it everyday and reminded no matter how well you take care of your vehicle. From a business owner. Bad business decision gm.
Old February 25th, 2015, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Wow, I just read probably 3/4 of these pages.....Is talking to GM Customer service through this forum worth it? Or should you go right to you dealership?

Also, is there any type of repair kits for this? I was told by car guy to put a small hole at the end of the crack with a small drill bit to stop the crack from getting bigger.

It really is an eye sore and I concur with the earlier posts that when it is cold it looks really bad and when the heat is on it is not that bad.

I have a 2007 Tahoe LT with 90k miles on it and it is well maintained.
Old February 25th, 2015, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dash, Handles, etc....

Below is my post from August 2014. Please pay attention to what I have put in bold font, that is the way it is. It doesn't matter how many post you make complaining about it, asking the FAKE Chevrolet Reps for their help, or following the instructions they give you after you give them your information. It all boils down to one thing...If you have a good relationship with the Service Manager at your dealership. He/Her will be the one to make the call on if you are going to pay nothing, full price, or anything in between. I'm not trying to be rude, that is just the way GM has chosen to handle this. I was able to get my dash replaced at no cost because of mine and my families relationship with the dealership.

August 2014 Post:
I was going through the same issues over a year ago with the dash, interior door handles, steering wheel peeling, etc. You can go back and look at my post from May 2013. I was able to get mine fixed at my local dealership for no charge.

Fast forward to last week...My Tahoe is white. My exterior door handles were starting to peel(they are white as well) I went in to see if they would help me out on changing them. I wanted to get the chrome handles, and they told me it would be $145 plus labor, which came out to be $345.00 plus tax. The handles are available on ebay for around $110.00, and I told them that. They were for sale on there from another Chevrolet dealer. Not only did they sale me the handles for $110.00, they also knocked off half of the labor costs. My total ended up being $241.19, and that was including tax and $10.00 in shop supplies.

My take on this whole situation is that I agree with all of you that the dash, interior door handles, and peeling steering wheel cover are all defects and should be replaced by GM at no cost to the consumer. Since most of us have come to figure out, that's not going to happen in 99% of the cases. I spoke, at length, to the service manager at my local dealership about this situation when I picked my Tahoe up after they finished installing the exterior handles. He told me that it is determined on a case by case situation, and it is solely at the discretion of the service manager. You have a better chance of getting these things taken care of at no cost or a discounted cost if you have a good relationship with them.

To save you guys some time, the fake Chevy reps on here are worthless. There is no need to send them your info via PM. You can do exactly what they do. They call your "preferred" dealer, tell them what's going on, and issue you a number. That's it. End of story for them. I was able to get my replacements over a year ago because of the relationship I have with the service manager. The deal that you get, if any, all depends on the relationship you have with them.

Hope this helps...
Old February 26th, 2015, 5:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Suburban LT

I have 2011 Suburban with 89K and I did purchase the extended warranty for the vehicle. my dash board cracked and I took it to the Chevy dealership where I purchased the car, they told me that I have to pay $200.
this is my first AMERICAN car purchased. I owned 1994 Toyota 4 runner, 2000 Toyota 4 runner and 2003 Toyota Sequoia and 2003 toyota tacoma double cab. I never have any issues as for cosmetic. I still own 2005 toyota solara/camry and I have just received a notice from Toyota to bring my solara to the dealership if I have a crack on my dashboard! they will pay them back for those who already replaced it and pay it out of their own pocket!!!! now that's what I call "stand by your own product"!!!!! I'd love to see CHEVY/GM the AMERICAN product to do the same. I am attaching the notice I received by mail to show I am not lying!

I hope ya'll can open the attachement
Attached Thumbnails 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????-2005-1.jpg  
Old February 26th, 2015, 6:40 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Was the $200 the deductible?

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe ltz dash has cracked????????