Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe -- remote starts...then dies.

Old January 17th, 2008, 5:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe -- remote starts...then dies.

Hi guys,

I'm a newly registerd user, but I've stopped by a few times before to reada few posts. Anyway, my problem seems to be different than what I can find on here so I decided to post it as a new question.

I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 (RWD) with the remote start option. I really love the feature, and for the most part it works fine. I have no issues with the range, it works accross parking lots and through walls. Here's my problem; sometimes when I remote start it, the engine will crank and you can hear it start, but it immediately dies. Once it dies, you can no longer remote start it. It only blinks the lights at you when you try. Once you crank it with the key (which always works fine), you can then again try to remote start it (which usually works that time). It's so random, I haven't been able to pin down any certain time that it happens. Sometimes it will be the first start of the day and sometimes I'll come out of the store or out from work and it will fail me. It never does it twice in a row.

I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time the guy looked at me like I didn't know how to use the remote. He explained to me that I may be pressing the lock button (or start button) twice which might be sending the wrong signal (turn off instead of turn on) and confusing the computer. He even used it several times while I was standing there to show me I was an idiot. So now I make a point to only press the lock button once, followed by the start button.

I was almost convinced that he might be right when it started happening again, completely random of course. This time when I took it back, I talked to a different guy and he suggested I leave it over night so they can try it at different times. While I was glad that he actually seemed to believe me, I need my vehicle to get to work so I turned him down until I can figure out something else.

So now I'm hoping one of you guys might have heard of this or know what I should do. It's very hard to duplicate, but it's happened on a few cold mornings when I was really looking forward to running out of my warm house into my warm Tahoe!!

Please help if you can!

Thanks,

Andy
Old January 17th, 2008, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2007 Tahoe -- remote starts...then dies.

...same truck, same problem seen. Once it doesnt start correctly remotely I have to use the key in the ignition to get it started. I have seen it three time, each time during the extremely cold (Southern California, 45 degrees) evening walk to the truck after work.
I ***-umed that this is some kind of safety feature; truck thinking it had a mis-start and instead of risking a backfire or the like it just doesnt allow a restart.
Old January 17th, 2008, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Mine has actually failed to start remotely about three times in almost two years out of about 20-30 times.

Try a search on this forum as there has been several threads discussing this issue.
Old January 18th, 2008, 6:43 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I agree with Earl that I think it's a safety feature. The truck started and failed to stay running so it, by design, doesn't allow future starts until reset manually. But that doesn't really explain why the engine would crank and then die the first time.

I searched the forum before I posted my question, but all I could seem to come up with were range issues. I can be standing beside my truck and it will do this, so I doubt it has to do with range. The other problems I saw was the truck not starting at all. Mine cranks, but quits.

In my head I'd likethe dealerto try to reprogram the computer, but they seem veryreluctant for a problem they don't believe exists. It really sounds like it's not finishing the start sequence completely, maybe turning off the ignition pre-maturely? Taking away the signal before the engine is running on it's own?? I saw somewhere on here that someone reset some relays/fuses for a remote start problem. Maybe I'll try rubbing them the right way to apease the 'hoe gods.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated though....in case that doesn't work!

Thanks again,

Andy
Old January 18th, 2008, 1:18 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This issue has been intensely investigated and researched by GM and it is determined that the cause is very likely to be the operator not properly pushing the buttons prior to start.
You should make a conscious effort to simply push the Lock button (once) then immediately push and hold the Start button.
If you push any other buttons or Lock button more then once before initiating the start sequence it can confuse the system and cause it to prematurely shut the motor off.

Please try this and see if the problem isn't eliminated.

Dave

Old January 18th, 2008, 4:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. You seem to have a lot of the tech answers on here so I'm not doubting your response; but I like to think of myself as fairly informed when it comes to electronics. I'm an avionics technician on F-16's in the Air Force. I like nothing better than to blame young, cocky pilots for stupid mistakes when it comes to the systems they seem to "break" on the jet all the time. When I first was told that I was inducing the fault by incorrectly pressing buttons on my RKE I was a little skeptical, but when I saw the TSB backing up the service guy, I bought into it a little bit more. Especially because, at first, I would hit the lock button twice to hear the horn chirp so that when I was inside my house I didn't have to look out to make sure my Tahoe was "hearing" me. Anyway, after that first encounter with the dealer, I now make EXTRA sure that I don't hit any extra buttons at all. In fact, when I pick my keys up I pick them up by the key-ring now just so I don't accidentally hit any erroneous buttons. While I don't think I should have to walk on eggshells just to get my year-old Tahoe to start remotely, I play the game to eliminate that as a possibility. I think I have. I'm 99% sure it has nothing to do with the way I'm pressing buttons, but the way the truck is receiving them. But it will probably take more complaints from otherowners and a few more years to get a solution out of the General.

Thanks for all the replies. I really do like this forum!

Andy
Old January 18th, 2008, 7:16 PM
CF Addict

Andy,
No problem, it isn't always the easiest answer that solves the problem.
Would you mind taking a few moments and try a couple of things to see if this doesn't help?
If you haven't done this yet start the engine (leave it in park), go into the DIC menu with the second button down and enter "Relearn Remotes", you will need Both of your remote transmitters and then push and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons in at the same time until you hear a Chrip then turn of the engine and remove the key.

After this is complete: Remove the (10 amp) DSM fuse (Fuse block in the driver side instruemtn panel) for 20 seconds and then reinstall it.

Once these two items are complete try it out and see if if this doesn't solve the issue, if it does not then you may have a set of faulty RKE remotes.

I'm one of the old part-time guys in the left seat (KC-135) getting schooled by the young troubleshooters like yourself.

Old January 18th, 2008, 9:48 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm definitely gonna give that a shot, Dave! Thanks a lot, I'll let you know what I come up with.

Oh, and sorry aboutthat pilot comment! haha! [sm=icon_quiet.gif]
Old April 3rd, 2008, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

I have a very similar problem with my Impala. reference https://chevroletforum.com/m_64390/m..._/tm.htm#64390 for that thread.

In summary, the only addition I have to these symptoms is that the car stays on as long as the start button is pressed. And if I hold down the start button long enough the car will sometimes stay on.

Sure would like to know what's happening. Another thread suggests pressing the unlock first, then lock, then start button. Apparently the unlock does something to wake up the car.

Hopefully after 3 GM remote start vehicles and using it hundreds of times, I know how it works. But I won't say I've never made a mistake...just seems ironic that the mistake is only with this one vehicle.
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM
CF Addict

If you are convinced that there is an issue with your Impala's remote start system take it to a dealer and have it repaired.