Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban LTZ magnetic ride problems

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2014, 12:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the differences between the magnetic and auto ride suspensions? Benefits?
Old September 17th, 2014, 1:08 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
What is the differences between the magnetic and auto ride suspensions? Benefits?
The auto ride suspension is a modified air support system that is controlled by the computer. The magnetic suspension has a special fluid within the shocks that allows the shock rate to be altered by the computer depending on road conditions.
Old September 17th, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Is this a proven technology or is brand new? As in this year?
Old September 17th, 2014, 6:27 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I believe BMW and Mercedes have had similar systems for some time...
Old September 17th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
Is this a proven technology or is brand new? As in this year?
It's been available on the Corvette for quite awhile now. I suspect that the shocks will be expensive to replace. A lot more than Autoride.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

They told me I could trade for a new LT, which would be a loss in value. I reduced the airpressure down to 32 from 38, which made a big difference. I suggested to the service manager that I trade the stock 20" wheels and tires for the LT 18". He said that the total height would likely be different and would mess up the speedometer. I asked to at least measure and find out. My question to this forum is would the 18"er lead to a smoother ride in the city?
Old September 23rd, 2014, 12:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, the smaller the wheel size, the smoother the ride, as you have more rubber to absorb impact.

Large rims are usually for better handling. Less sidewall means less flex between the wheel and road.

(They also can look cool). (I like the GM 22s on the Tahoe, with the thin spokes).

I find it concerning that you'd have these issues with a 2015. My 2009 LTZ is on 20s and rides like a couch, city and highway. I've done 6+ hour drives and found it to be one of the most comfortable riding vehicles I've been in. Short of a X5, it's my fav for long trips.

Your MPH won't be far off as the overall diameter (actually circumference) of the tire should be similar.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=25

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 23rd, 2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2014, 8:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
yes, the smaller the wheel size, the smoother the ride, as you have more rubber to absorb impact.

Large rims are usually for better handling. Less sidewall means less flex between the wheel and road.

(They also can look cool). (I like the GM 22s on the Tahoe, with the thin spokes).

I find it concerning that you'd have these issues with a 2015. My 2009 LTZ is on 20s and rides like a couch, city and highway. I've done 6+ hour drives and found it to be one of the most comfortable riding vehicles I've been in. Short of a X5, it's my fav for long trips.

Your MPH won't be far off as the overall diameter (actually circumference) of the tire should be similar.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=25

I agree I too feel my 20's on my 07 ride very well... if you do change wheel tires sizes the dealership can reprogram the vehicle for proper display of speed, it'll probably set you back 1 hrs labor charge for the 15 minutes of Tech2 programming time...~ $100
Old April 27th, 2015, 6:53 AM
CF Beginner

i am having the same problem. i have owned many GM Yukon's and Tahoe's. I purchase a 2015 Tahoe LT and a 2015 suburban LT with luxury option. almost a year later i decided to get rid of them and get two LTZ models. BIG mistake the ride is night and day feels like I'm going over railroad tracks. My two 2015 LT models rode so much smoother. How do you spend 10k more on a LTZ model and they ride worst you would thing it would ride better. i have been told by dealer that thats the way they are suppose to ride. If GM does not come out with a fix soon i will be going to ford and we will not be buying anymore chevy or GM's for our office either.
Old April 28th, 2015, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Just curious, When set up for towing with tow package and all, does the magnetic ride system remain activated or is there an override to compensate for towing like conditions which effect dampening. I guess what I am getting at is whether the magnetic ride helps or hurts handling while towing?

Quick Reply: 2015 Suburban LTZ magnetic ride problems