Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2015 Suburban LTZ magnetic ride problems

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2016, 9:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmillerj
I suggested they leave the Mag Ride disabled and the service mgr told me they couldn't do that. The ride was much better but it would create an unstable condition on curves and hwy speeds. I spoke with the GM rep today on phone. He's going to talk to the service mgr and will call me tomorrow. Everybody is saying and it has been confirmed that the problem is in the Magnetic Ride Suspension software programing. However it appears that GM is hesitant to admit this due to the number of vehicles with this problem. I will post updates so anyone that visits this forum may be able to avoid going through what I'm going through. I would trade it if I could but any used car manager that would appraise it would no something is wrong with it when they drove it. And anyway the problem is becoming very well known in the industry and used car managers are avoiding these vehicles as if they were Pinto's.
Man, so sorry to hear this. Maybe suggest they turn off the mag ride, and you sign a waiver saying you won't hold them liable if anything happens? just a thought...

Best of luck!
Old September 7th, 2016, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Typerod
Man, so sorry to hear this. Maybe suggest they turn off the mag ride, and you sign a waiver saying you won't hold them liable if anything happens? just a thought...

Best of luck!
I may have found an approach to this problem. I had my Tahoe appraised by two separate Chevy dealers and an independent dealer. They're aware of the rough ride issue with this model. In the interest of honesty I explained what I had been through with GM and the results. All three of the people who appraised the vehicle agreed that by GM attempting to fix the problem they acknowledged the problem. GM replaced all shocks and springs attempting to fix the problem. Now GM wants to say the "problem is characteristic of this vehicle". The problem they may have is by attempting to repair they exposed themselves of being aware of the problem. I understand GM has very deep pockets and I have somewhat shallow pockets so the prospect of suing them is not realistic. However...my Tahoe is now worth $4700.00 less than average book value due to the ride problem. "it rides like it has 100,000 miles instead of 49,000 miles" is the comment that was made to support the decreased value. I contacted an attorney who happens to be my wife's cousin and he said that I had a very good small claims case to recoup the $4700.00 I would lose by selling or trading it. I have documentation from the dealer service department explaining the problem very clearly and the direction GM advised them to repair. The repair order clearly states all of the efforts GM advised them to take. The service manager also acknowledges the problem after switching my 22" wheels with 20" wheels from a new Tahoe. There are also over 200 complaints I have been able to locate on various forums and message boards detailing this problem and the TSB that dealers issued to address the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 9th, 2016, 1:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmillerj
I may have found an approach to this problem. I had my Tahoe appraised by two separate Chevy dealers and an independent dealer. They're aware of the rough ride issue with this model. In the interest of honesty I explained what I had been through with GM and the results. All three of the people who appraised the vehicle agreed that by GM attempting to fix the problem they acknowledged the problem. GM replaced all shocks and springs attempting to fix the problem. Now GM wants to say the "problem is characteristic of this vehicle". The problem they may have is by attempting to repair they exposed themselves of being aware of the problem. I understand GM has very deep pockets and I have somewhat shallow pockets so the prospect of suing them is not realistic. However...my Tahoe is now worth $4700.00 less than average book value due to the ride problem. "it rides like it has 100,000 miles instead of 49,000 miles" is the comment that was made to support the decreased value. I contacted an attorney who happens to be my wife's cousin and he said that I had a very good small claims case to recoup the $4700.00 I would lose by selling or trading it. I have documentation from the dealer service department explaining the problem very clearly and the direction GM advised them to repair. The repair order clearly states all of the efforts GM advised them to take. The service manager also acknowledges the problem after switching my 22" wheels with 20" wheels from a new Tahoe. There are also over 200 complaints I have been able to locate on various forums and message boards detailing this problem and the TSB that dealers issued to address the problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I say go for it. Sell the vehicle and sue for the value loss, assuming that you won't need to still own the car to better your case.
Old February 1st, 2017, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 tahoe ltz go kart ride

I Have A 2016 Tahoe LTZ been having same issues, they road forced my tires all that good stuff, I love the truck but the hard ride is what kills me, I went from 20" to aftermarket 24" rims on it not as much vibration but the go-kart ride is what kills me, I wish at the very least an after market company would come up with something better. they would make a killing.
Old February 1st, 2017, 7:04 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Bigger wheels means shorter sidewalls which will cause a lot rougher ride.
Old February 1st, 2017, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 tahoe ride

[QUOTE=73shark;333057]Welcome to the forum.

Bigger wheels means shorter sidewalls which will cause a lot rougher ride.[/QUOT

I Appreciate it, I meant it rode a little better after I put the 24 on but it still rides rough. I wish I could put air bags all the way around but i was told it would mess up the ECM if you disconnected the magnetic ride control. Or at least aftermarket came up with something to make ride like it suppose to.
Old April 24th, 2017, 11:25 PM
CF Junior Member

With the help of the service mgr at my dealer I've received a $3500.00 voucher to be applied to the purchase of a new Chevrolet due to the rough ride problem. I've also received a phone call from my states attorney general's office. It appears the owner of a 2015 Tahoe LTZ with the same problem works in the attorney generals office and just happened to visit one of the boards I frequent. I was asked to submit a consumer complaint to the attorney general but I'm not so sure that would benefit me and/or my situation. My Tahoe has been appraised by four different Chevrolet dealers and due to the ride issue they all lowered the appraisal between $6800.00 and $7500.00 which would be quite a bit more than the $3500.00 they offered. I don't want to get greedy but $3500 wouldn't pay the sales tax on a new Tahoe Premier. If the ride weren't SO bad I could learn to live with it but it rides like a covered wagon and is beginning to rattle due to the ride. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I can roll over a cat eye marble and it feel's like a speed bump.
Old June 8th, 2017, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2015 ltz

I have a 2015 LTZ out off warrenty. Noticed the front struts leaking. The ride got worse and worse. Now there locked up tight. spent $1000 for new struts. installing them this weekend. very upsetting.
Old June 12th, 2017, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

installed new shocks (struts) works great. they have a one year warranty. Bet your *** I'll be keeping an eye on these.
Old June 13th, 2017, 6:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Assuming your vehicle has Mag Ride suspension how did you keep the both the check engine light off and the suspension warning message in the DIC from showing up?

Quick Reply: 2015 Suburban LTZ magnetic ride problems