Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2021, 9:23 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebunc
I'm really curious if there is or could be a class action lawsuit.
There could be someday. Note that in a class action lawsuit typically the law firm makes a ton of money while the offended parties gets a coupon like $500 off your next new GM purchase.

Originally Posted by Sebunc
Why is there not a recall at a minimum?
Because that recall could cost GM BILLIONS !!! Government won't force a recall most likely as could be detrimental to the economy, and likely not considered a safety factor. I don't have a GM with this issue, but I think if I did and had such issues I'd contact the TV news show "Inside Edition", they seem to like stories like this: https://www.insideedition.com/submit-story

Old October 8th, 2021, 6:52 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Recalls are safety related. A few people need to die or get seriously hurt for a recall to be initiated.
Old November 14th, 2021, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a know "built after" date that lifter issue is not a problem? Looking into a new 2021 Tahoe Z71 and VERY concerned now. Much thanks.
Old November 14th, 2021, 5:06 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast.Z71
Is there a know "built after" date that lifter issue is not a problem? Looking into a new 2021 Tahoe Z71 and VERY concerned now. Much thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (November 14th, 2021)
Old November 15th, 2021, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2021 Tahoe z71 10k miles - yep my lifters failed

On the highway (with my wife and 18 month old) going 75 mph when clunking began. Initially thought it was a flat tire (didn’t expect 70k truck to have a major engine issue) - clunking and engine response got worse, felt like I was running out of gas. Made it to a dealership but it took 4 weeks to repair. The recent posts of folks replacing all 16 (like we are) that still are having issues have sealed the deal. I’m getting rid of this truck ASAP.

I live in Colorado and like to go off the grid. This could have been catastrophic if it happened in the wrong place - desert or arctic conditions etc. I don’t mean to be an alarmist, but. with how often this is happening, it’s just a matter of time before it’s life and death for somebody.

Old November 16th, 2021, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

They told me they were going to replace all 16 but only replaced 8. The service manager also quietly admitted they are now seeing 2022’s with the same issue. (I was considering trading my 21 for the 22 thinking it was just a small batch of lifters affected but issue is much more widespread than that) I am getting rid of mine ASAP and getting the 2022 GX460.

Originally Posted by colinel
On the highway (with my wife and 18 month old) going 75 mph when clunking began. Initially thought it was a flat tire (didn’t expect 70k truck to have a major engine issue) - clunking and engine response got worse, felt like I was running out of gas. Made it to a dealership but it took 4 weeks to repair. The recent posts of folks replacing all 16 (like we are) that still are having issues have sealed the deal. I’m getting rid of this truck ASAP.

I live in Colorado and like to go off the grid. This could have been catastrophic if it happened in the wrong place - desert or arctic conditions etc. I don’t mean to be an alarmist, but. with how often this is happening, it’s just a matter of time before it’s life and death for somebody.
Old November 17th, 2021, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2022 too? Yikes!

Originally Posted by colinel
They told me they were going to replace all 16 but only replaced 8. The service manager also quietly admitted they are now seeing 2022’s with the same issue. (I was considering trading my 21 for the 22 thinking it was just a small batch of lifters affected but issue is much more widespread than that) I am getting rid of mine ASAP and getting the 2022 GX460.
I've been thinking about how I could get rid of my truck too. Are you planning on trading it in or selling it yourself? I wouldn't feel comfortable selling this truck to an individual without disclosing the issue to them. Trading it in or selling to one of the big car buying companies seems to be the only options.

Last week I had a Tree Trimming company come out to my house to give me an estimate on doing some work. The man from the company was driving a 2021 Silverado truck. I asked him how he liked it and he started telling me about how the truck has broken down twice with this lifter issue!!!! Last time it broke down the tow driver told him he's picking up Chevrolet vehicles all the time!!!!

Actually love my truck but just have no confidence in it's reliability.
Old November 18th, 2021, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast.Z71
The service bulletin states March 31, 2021 as the last date covered for the suburban. I would really be interested if anyone is having issues with a build date after that date. I would really like to purchase a new suburban, I like the looks better than the Expedition Max, however, this thread and others like it have my terrified to make the purchase.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 4:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2021 Z71 with 13k miles…dreaded clunking

2021 Z71 with 13k miles…dreaded clunking and service warnings came on Friday as I was driving, too late to take to dealer, limped home and headed to dealer today. This forum has been a ton of help since the dealership nearest me was closed for the weekend. Of course this is Thanksgiving week so I don’t hold out hope for a confirmation on what I’m assuming is the lifters bending like previously mentioned. I love LOVE my burb but travel a lot and need something reliable. If this is the issue I might be looking at selling and finding a new ride, has anyone gone back with a GM built after the dreaded 3/31/21 date and been happy? I need storage room and so far not much compares.
Old November 22nd, 2021, 7:18 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

My '20 Traverse has a ton of room in it. I'd say pretty close to a Sub inside. And no issues with it's 3.6 motor and it will switch to 2wd from AWD for decent mileage. (25-26 hwy)
I'd take a look if you don't need a heavy trailer towing capacity.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles