Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2021, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is such Bs , i am surprised after reading soo many complaints about the same issue that Chevy hasn’t seemed this a recall.

Originally Posted by Blindbaby
Morning. 2021 Tahoe High Country just shy of 7k, I just gained my membership into the bad lifter club. Tahoe at the dealers for 3 full days and hasn't been looked at. At least they gave me a loaner - first one was a Ram Rebel, no running boards, had to drag myself in and jump out. I have spinal issues so I traded. This ride is a Hyundai Kona - coffin with wheels. Over $80k in the Tahoe and I get to drive a Hyundai Kona, boy howdy I'm a happy camper. Updates as they become available

**Update: Dealer service called, said I was right - collapsed lifter bent push rod. We hopefully will get the Tahoe back on Friday 6/18/2021 with new lifters and one push rod on the right side. Asked what about the left side, service said Chevrolet said to only replace the right side lifters. Now, is it me or does it seem the right side is more affected than the left side??

**Hopefully someone will come up with an override device for the DFM system. I ordered such a device for my 2020 GMC Sierra - to date no issues with it and hopefully they will not rear their ugly head.
Old June 16th, 2021, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Lynntak
After getting lifter replaced at 3800 miles, I’ve got the same problem at 5400. Car towed to Chevy dealer in SC as I was traveling for work. Same problem on same side as previous collapsed lifter. My husband had emailed after first incident and has spoken to Chevrolet since this second incident and are now discussing the buy back. This is RIDICULOUS!!! I absolutely love my car but I cannot trust it nor rely on it. Should we look at other vehicles or take a chance with another Suburban? This car really suits our needs. 😞
Did you lemon law your car? Please let me know what the outcome of this issue was.
Old June 16th, 2021, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got a call from the dealership...so calmly he said it was a failed lifter. I asked is this common and the service writer said "oh my no". Really?? So how come you are so relaxed and soudns like you've made this call a million times? How does a lifter just fail after 4000 miles?? No answers to my questions.
The following users liked this post:
Yol (July 14th, 2021)
Old June 17th, 2021, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is really shaking my faith in Chevy & the Suburban

Originally Posted by frontera2021
Service ESC, Traction Control, and Service Suspension lights went on, along with Check Engine. Loud knocking from engine, sound and feel like I suddenly have an engine brake, and downshifting went all wonky. Very rough idle. Took it straight to dealer I bought from (Maryland), service guy said “oh it’s probably just a computer thing” but I’m having trouble believing that. Estimate 2 weeks at minimum, but at least they got me a rental. $80k car, not even 6 months old. Unbelievably frustrating. (And this is my second Suburban, I buy them because I need them - multiple kids, multiple dogs, plenty of towing.)
As of today, my truck's been in for 14 days, and all they've got for me so far is "we're showing a misfire on cylinder 7, but we can't determine if that's mechanical or a just a software error until we disassemble the engine" - which it seems they very much don't want to take the time to do. How long will it be still? "Could be a few days, could be a few weeks...we're waiting for parts." How do you have parts ordered if you don't actually know what's wrong with it? "...." So who knows. At least they've given me a rental - a little 4-cylinder Toyota Highlander - and they as long as they're ordering parts under a special code, GM is obligated to reimburse for the rental. But this is insane and so disappointing. And like a lot of you here, I have summer plans to drive this vehicle with my family and dogs and a bunch of stuff thousands of miles along the East Coast...no idea if I can will be able to do that confidently.
Old June 18th, 2021, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick update to post #38. Visited the dealer today, Tahoe was supposed to be ready today (6/18/2021). Talked to the service writer after ha quit having his personal conversation with the previous customer. He inquired with the service manager and informed me they were replacing the engine. I told Him I needed to speak to someone on a management level. He called someone, grabbed his lunch and beat feet out the door. My past interactions with him have not been very positive, going to ask for someone else in the future. Assistant service manager came out, introduced himself and had us join him in an adjacent office. He proceeded to explain they needed to replace the engine. I inquired why to which I got a little song and dance. The main service manager overheard the conversation and came in to try to quell the conversation. The general manager said during disassembly a head bolt sheared off and rather than try to extract it they were ordering a new engine. Approval from GM takes 7 days according to them, add to that 3-4 days shipping, then a couple-three days to install. You can damn sure bet I will go over the entire vehicle with a fine tooth comb if/when we ever get it back.

I can understand a head bolt breaking, damn torque to yield bolts. What I have issues with is the lack of communication - positive or negative. No longer have a warm fuzzy feeling. I just hope all turns out well.

6-21-2021 I opened a case with Chevrolet. Of course it has to go to the next level given the complexity of the issue. Supposed to receive a call-back within the next day or three. We shall see. Keep the pressure on them!

Last edited by Blindbaby; June 21st, 2021 at 7:50 AM. Reason: Upate
The following users liked this post:
SDfromSD (June 19th, 2021)
Old June 19th, 2021, 8:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update on Silverado truck lifter/engine issue per previous posts

Here's a few updates on my lifter issue that was fixed by Dealership.
*Truck has been repaired and driven for about 100 miles, no issues so far. The Dealership has lost my fob key and it took them a week to find it. Got it back yesterday:-).
*Sent a certified letter to GM (GM, P.O. Box 33170.Detroit, MI 48232-5170) giving them details of my issue. I asked for some specific things 1-Extention of warranty 2-Replacement of lifters on the other side of engine that wasn't repaired. I also told them if I experience this issue again I want them to buy this truck back.
*Called GM directly (
800-222-1020) to open a case and was assigned an adviser. I repeated my requests and adviser says she will move it up the chain of command. Yes, the old "slow play" the issue until clock runs out. Couple of things about the call with adviser. -I asked if she had seen this issue before with other customers. Her answer was no, I haven't had anyone report this issue and there was no companywide communications that addressed the possibility of them seeing this issue. -When my truck was repaired the mechanic use a Service Bulletin (#19-NA-218) that has been sent to GM Dealerships. This document was a step by step guide for this repair. I asked my adviser why GM published that SB to address this repair if they haven't been seeing the issue. She really didn't have a good answer for that question.
Moving forward I will post any updates here. Again, sorry that everyone is experiencing this issue. Definitely appreciate any additional insight/recommendations each of you might have.
The following 2 users liked this post by txco:
3rdsuburban (July 6th, 2021), repairman54 (June 19th, 2021)
Old June 19th, 2021, 10:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Great to see you followed through with the ''correct'' steps.
Corp. rule is to never admit a failure issue. We may never know how many bad lifters are out there or who made them for that matter.
Hopefully all is good now, good luck and thanks for following up with your experience.
Old June 20th, 2021, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 Yukon Denali with 5000 miles

I just had this issue last week while driving the kids to Disney World. Just passed 5000 miles on our 2021 GMC Yukon Denali. Broke down outside of Jacksonville. I had to rent a car to finish the trip (at $200/day for something large enough) and have family pick us up in Jacksonville to get home after we returned the rental. The vehicle is at the dealership there now and they say another week or two before they get the parts.

I’m hoping they will ship the vehicle to me as it’s a 10 hour round trip, but after reading this forum , I’m not holding my breath.
Old June 21st, 2021, 8:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ntotten
I just had this issue last week while driving the kids to Disney World. Just passed 5000 miles on our 2021 GMC Yukon Denali. Broke down outside of Jacksonville. I had to rent a car to finish the trip (at $200/day for something large enough) and have family pick us up in Jacksonville to get home after we returned the rental. The vehicle is at the dealership there now and they say another week or two before they get the parts.

I’m hoping they will ship the vehicle to me as it’s a 10 hour round trip, but after reading this forum , I’m not holding my breath.
Get on the phone to Chevy Customer care and make a case. They should give you some sort of reimbursement for rental costs as your entitled to a loaner.
Warranty coverage should be outlined in the owners manual and you can download it online since your not near your truck and it should define what they do when breakdowns occur when traveling.
Old June 21st, 2021, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contacted Customer Care this AM, have a case number. As far as loaner Enterprise Rent-a-Wreck is taking care of that - GM's expense. First vehicle was a Ram Rebel, with back problems I traded it as soon as I could. Now we have a Hyundai Kona - boy howdy. When you merge onto the highway you'd best hope and pray the vehicle driver that is closing in on you at 55+MPH is sympathetic to your plight and offers some breathing room. Definitely not going to suffer whiplash from rapid acceleration. On the plus side it's pretty gentle on gas and a piece of cake to park!

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles