Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2021 suburban broke 3000miles

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2021, 11:50 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynntak
Soooooo……
1. Collapsed lifter at 3800 miles. Dealer near home in NC replaced damaged parts at that cylinder.
2. Collapsed lifter at 5400 miles. Dealer in Little River, SC (happened out of town for work) replaced all parts on the entire side which was same side as earlier repairs.
3. TODAY with 9000 miles SAME ISSUE.

Heading to Baltimore, car did same things it’s done before with this problem…. clunking sound underneath car, running rough, check engine light, ESC light, yadda yadda yadda.
LUCKILY pooped out at interchange in NC where there was Chevy dealer! They had a loaner. They said they had the parts necessary. They said they were very familiar with this problem. They said all the older stock of rods had been returned and replaced with the new and improved ones which I know were installed during my 5400 mile visit to the shop.
Since it’s a holiday weekend I won’t hear anything until Tuesday but am I to assume that this current situation would be related to the other bank of cylinders??? So maybe once they replace all the parts on this other side I’ll be good???

My husband emailed and called GM after the second incident and the word was that they’re not interested in buying it back. Maybe this third time will be the charm??
Check to see if and what your states lemon laws say as far as a buy back. Legal action is a strong motivator since you have had multiple failures.
No guarantee an already built one has a good motor though.
Myself I would want a new engine, too much ''junk'' has traveled through yours from repeated failures. Others have posted on here that engines were replaced. And an extended warranty for all your aggravation.
Old July 3rd, 2021, 1:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Shame on GM !!!!
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (July 3rd, 2021)
Old July 6th, 2021, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis Porter

I have had two collapse, in the process now of Lemon Law
Old July 8th, 2021, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by repairman54
Are these 5.3's or the 6.2's ? Everyone is posting but no engine size being said. Was thinking about a '21 but maybe keeping my '11 is a smarter move right now.
I have a 5.3 in mine, but from what I read it is on both 6.2 and 5.3
Old July 8th, 2021, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Update on case I opened with GM

Update on progress of the case I opened with GM. On the initial call I asked for them to 1)Extend my warranty 2)Replace lifters on the other side of engine since if is very likely to fail 3)If it happens again I want them to assure me they will buy back this truck. I asked them for an explanation of why so many new 2021 GM vehicles were experiencing the issue. I was issued a case # and the lady I talked to on the phone said she would process my requests and get back to me with answers. She said she would call me every 2-3 days during this process just to check-in even though she might not have the answers to my requests. Well guess what, she didn't call me back:-)....I certainly didn't believe she would but was hoping I was wrong....I WASN"T!!!!!! I called her back 4 times and left messages requesting an update. About two weeks later another GM person called and indicated that my initial rep had been out of office and he was taking over my case. Of course he had no answers to my requests but says he'll get back with me:-)....I certainly didn't believe him and of course I was right AGAIN! I kept calling the original reps since I had her extension number asking for an update. I had another call from a totally different person that knew nothing about my case but he promised to call me back with some answers....of course he didn't. I again left several messages with the original rep. asking for a call back with answers. I know all this is sounding crazy but that is the rabbit hole GM pulls you into....they are hoping you will just go away and don't appear to have any sense of urgency to really help their customers by backing up the quality of the vehicles if there is a problem..
So today I get a call from another different rep(4th one if you're counting). She basically says no extended warranty, the vehicle is operating as designed. So I asked the obvious question "So the vehicle was "operating as designed" when it failed at 8000 miles with a failed lifter and bent rod????? Of course she didn't like that question and kept repeating that the vehicle was NOW operating as designed. I did agree with her but I said that I wanted the extension of the warranty because I feel like the it is VERY likely the issue will happen again. There are several post in this thread indicating people have experienced this issue more than once. I told her I would like to be connected with the next level of support since I wasn't happy with the answer and I also wanted an answer for my request to proactively replace the lifters on the other side of engine. The rep said I would need to send Chevrolet that request and seem to indicate GM was washing their hands of dealing with me. I told her I had already sent a letter and I wanted her to transfer to the proper person with the company to continue my requests. She said she was the highest level support and there was no one above her. I did ask if she was above the President of GM but I don't think she got the joke. Anyway, after several more minutes of discussing my request she out of the blue says, DO YOU WANT ME TO GET MY SUPERVISOR to call you? I did laugh, and say didn't you just tell me you didn't have anyone above you??????? After that I said yes, when will your supervisor call me? She indicated in a few minutes.....well that was 3 hours ago and it 7:00 CST so I guess the supervisor isn't calling me.
I'm going to keep working on this, I know GM is a big company and I'm surethey've had plenty of practice frustrating individual customers like me and basically running out the clock until they give up. They might be surprised about how tenacious I can be though:-).

PS: If Mrs. Carpenter, my high school English teacher is on this thread, please forgive me for my poor writing style and bad punctuation! At least my spelling is better:-)
Old July 8th, 2021, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

unfortunately, gm will do what they want.... unless they lose a legal action. Dealerships don't have success with corporate either. Corporate makes decisions based on gm engineering findings and the most cost effective fix. keep the pressure up.
Old July 8th, 2021, 9:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by txco
I said yes, when will your supervisor call me? She indicated in a few minutes.....well that was 3 hours ago and it 7:00 CST so I guess the supervisor isn't calling me.
Ha !!! Reminds me of the time in 1994 after we just purchased our first GM vehicle, a 1988 Suburban. Since all our vehicles were manual transmission, I didn't know anything about automatics, so Mrs. Cusser dropped it off at a transmission shop across from our work for an ATF and transmission filter change. They called mid-day, I walked over there and they showed me shavings in a pan; I said that didn't look bad at all. Shop said the ATF was black, so all they could do was put the dirty ATF back in or take apart the transmission for $150 and measure everything to make sure it was within specifications; if not, that $150 would go towards a complete rebuild. I told them that a 100K mile transmission would never meet such specs, to put the dirty ATF back in, I was leaving. That afternoon, after Mrs. Cusser drove 30- 50 miles, I felt I should check the level of ATF. Well the ATF level was fine, and PINK. So I called the shop and asked how "black fluid" could turn peak, and they said the manager would call me back. 27 years later, no one has called !!! Surprised??? Anyway, never had that transmission rebuilt either.

Years later, on a 2005 Yukon, GM dealer could not figure out how to fix an intermittent non-closing sunroof (they said they "had no idea" what was wrong), so I asked for my repair money back, as I'd told the service advisor that I'd pay for a fix, but not for a guess. 3 months later, with help from a GM rep, I finally got a refund, so didn't have to involve my credit card company. Of course during that repair visit, GM tried to sell me radiator hoses saying mine were original, etc. when it was obvious that I had replaced them, as the hoses still had "Gates" labels on them and my aftermarket hose clamps. I suspect they NEVER opened the hood to look.

So sad.
Old July 9th, 2021, 7:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine type

So sorry to hear about these issues! I was all ready to upgrade my 09 suburban but after reading this I’m concerned.

Does anyone know or have heard if this lifter/push rod issue affects the diesel duramax engine option?

Last edited by J4894; July 9th, 2021 at 10:07 AM.
Old July 9th, 2021, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2021 Z71 Tahoe

Well, I joined the bad lifters club. 2021 Z71 Tahoe 8400 miles. Was told it would be weeks before the parts come in to fix it. My local dealership told me they do not participate in the loaner program and basically said “good luck”. I contacted GM directly and spoke with a very nice and informative advisor who assigned me a case number and told me about the rental car reimbursement program.
I wasn’t concerned about this issue reoccurring until I read this thread. Now I’m researching lemon law.

Here’s my biggest issue - I purchased this vehicle in Alabama and I live in Louisiana. I fall under Alabama Lemon Laws because of state of purchase.
According to topclassactions.com, “If you purchased a defective vehicle in Alabama, you may be entitled to a buyback or replacement. However, in order to qualify to have your vehicle reimbursed or replaced, there are some steps you must follow.Consumers are required to allow the manufacturer or an authorized dealership to attempt to repair the defective vehicle before they can request a reimbursement or replacement. The number of times that manufacturers are allowed to attempt to repair the defect varies by state. In Alabama, they are given three attempts. Only if all three attempts have failed is the consumer entitled to a buyback.

However, if these attempts take the vehicle out of service for more than 30 days, the consumer may be entitled to ask for a buyback even if all three attempts have not been made.”.

Do I need to make a report now? Will they require me to take my car back to Alabama for repair attempts? Anyone familiar with this?
Old July 10th, 2021, 7:22 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure but I believe everything has to be documented on failed attempts and the time taken to perform the repairs per the law since it's a legal matter.
You would have to get past the 30 day out of service timeframe to get the ball rolling on that condition as being out of service and potentially being out of service are not the same. I'm not a lawyer but you see my point.
Get and keep any and all receipts.
I'd research Alabama's state website and Louisiana's to see what the actual law states as a 2nd party site may not be totally accurate.
Since there is some relief from state laws it stinks that one has to play out the time and attempts conditions of the law with it's aggravation / downtime to get any relief but it's been written that way so both parties get some protection. The are lots of folks out there trying to play games as well as dealers.
Maybe you'll get lucky and they swap in a complete engine depending on it's damage.

Quick Reply: 2021 suburban broke 3000miles