Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

99 hoe fuel pump change wiring ?s

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2012, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 hoe fuel pump change wiring ?s

Changed the fuel pump yesterday evening. Finished it up this morning and it runs, but the fuel gauge does not work. I had to change the square metri-pak 150 connector to the new GT 280. I attached purple to purple and grey to grey. Then I have black to black and black to black. I noticed a difference in the gauge of the two black wires so I kept the bigger one with bigger one smaller to smaller (the fuel pump was used and had the GT 280 with it it's a delphi, wiring was cut beyond connectors, so wiring was present from original vehicle) the wiring left attached to the new harness matched my vehicles perfectly, so I thought I had it for sure.
he fuel gauge does not work. I am going to button this up and cut an access so I don't have to drop the freakin tank again, and again, and again... The steel straps came off and I switched them, so after I got it into place and was trying to connect the straps, I realized my mistake and had to drop the tank again. Anyway, is the fuel gauge issue from the wiring or more likely a downside to buying a used pump?
First post too. Thanks all
Old October 21st, 2012, 8:05 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum
My money is on the used pump theory....
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Used pump = bad idea. The fuel sending attached to pump alway goes bad. If it worked before it should work now. Unless you put in a bad used part