Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

AMGfan 2011 Suburban LT1500 Build

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Received 162 Likes on 160 Posts

One final touch, paint the rear wiper arm body color.

Did you check out the Eagle Eyes LED tails?
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6. I can't stand the side door guards...whoever painted them at the Chevrolet dealership did a terrible job of matching them to the body color so they will be repainted to make them match better.

I wonder if it would look better just removing them all together?
I am enjoying your personalization process, thanks for updating us, love what you are doing.
Old December 13th, 2010, 4:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by krcossin
6. I can't stand the side door guards...whoever painted them at the Chevrolet dealership did a terrible job of matching them to the body color so they will be repainted to make them match better.

I wonder if it would look better just removing them all together?
I am enjoying your personalization process, thanks for updating us, love what you are doing.
Thanks for the kind words guys...

As much as I am inclined to do so, they actually work pretty well in stopping offending doors. If I can get the white (currently they have a yellow tinge) to match it would look fine. They are taking a sample of paint (from the OE door handles that were replaced with the chrome version) to get a paint match.

Overall, Cheverolet paint is something less than desired. There are several areas of small paint bumps where it looks like they painted over a piece of dirt. There is even a hair near the front right end of the hood that has a eyelash or piece of hair embedded into the paint.

ALSO, the whole Suburban is the poster child for orange peel.
Old December 13th, 2010, 7:14 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Its looking great! AMGfan thanks for posting the before/after pics as it really shows the wow factor of the changes...
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Can't you match using the paint code for the truck? Since it's new, shouldn't be any fade factor.
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Can't you match using the paint code for the truck? Since it's new, shouldn't be any fade factor.
Thx...wish the dealership took the time to do that...
Old December 13th, 2010, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Paint code is on the vehicle, helluva lot faster than doing a computer match and hoping the guy mixes it right.
Old December 16th, 2010, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hey AMGfan, looks like your the east coast version of me. sitting here at the beach in san diego trying to figure out my next mod on the cars. i just dont touch or mod my S65. I try to keep most of it quiet until my wife gets in the suburban and all 6 screens are playing and she says, "hey did you do more stuff with the suburban?" the response is always, "i think that was done a while ago." btw where did you get the grill from?
Old December 17th, 2010, 2:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Thumbs up

Are you sure you want to put a KVH Kit on your roof? Unless there's a new small form factor KVH, I think it will ruin your cool Suburban aesthetically.
I have one on the motor home and it's huge. You're probably gonna use the smaller one which still big in my opinion. Just my .02.

I really like what you've done with the truck and I'm sure it will be better once you've completed wrapping the interior.

Bravo!!!!
Old December 17th, 2010, 4:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey AMGfan, looks like your the east coast version of me. sitting here at the beach in san diego trying to figure out my next mod on the cars. i just dont touch or mod my S65. I try to keep most of it quiet until my wife gets in the suburban and all 6 screens are playing and she says, "hey did you do more stuff with the suburban?" the response is always, "i think that was done a while ago." btw where did you get the grill from?
Thanks...my E55 was a total overhaul...motor/exhaust/ecu/murdered exterior/blacked out/reupholstered interior/audio...that build took 4 months.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...oem-grill.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...-lot-pics.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...o-surgery.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-a...e-finally.html

The SL65 just got a "slight " massage of the ECU/TCU, blacked out exterior, carbon fiber interior, and new audio/video system...that build took about 2 months.

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...ld-thread.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...de-thread.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...l65-build.html
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/sl55-a...ld-update.html

I got the front grills for the Sub on Ebay.

Are you sure you want to put a KVH Kit on your roof? Unless there's a new small form factor KVH, I think it will ruin your cool Suburban aesthetically.
I have one on the motor home and it's huge. You're probably gonna use the smaller one which still big in my opinion. Just my .02.

I really like what you've done with the truck and I'm sure it will be better once you've completed wrapping the interior.

Bravo!!!!
As far as the KVH/DirecTV satellite, I'm going to actually go see one next week on an SUV to get a better gauge on how it will sit. It will be painted body color to make it look less conspicuous but I still need to see one in person to make the final go ahead.

I've got several more interior pieces I'm going to try and integrate into the interior:

1. A new metal cupholder/cellphone holder instead of the OE cupholder...painted piano black.
2. A billet insert for the top of the center console storage...painted piano black.
3. I bought a replacement steering wheel badge...I'm still figuring out how to customize so it will flow with the interior. I just don't like the gold bowtie on the center of the steering wheel in this sea of black trim. We'll figure something out.

<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();} else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>

Last edited by AMGfan; December 17th, 2010 at 7:02 PM.

Quick Reply: AMGfan 2011 Suburban LT1500 Build