Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Broken Exterior Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014 | 9:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1badbowtie
I've had several Chevrolet's, seems to be a common issue. The rear door handle broke on my wife's 2010 Tahoe yesterday, our local dealer wants $265 to replace the handle. That's crazy. But its a common problem i guess with Chevrolet, as i have an 81 Z/28 which also has the chrome door handles on it. and in the 10 years i have owned it i have replaced the drivers door handle 4 times, and the passenger door handle twice. but back to the Tahoe i have yet to get anywhere with the service department.
Welcome to the forum..
If the service department won't get you fixed up , you might try a PM to Chevrolet Customer Service...
If that is not a path you chose to do , both Amazon and Ebay and GMPartsdriect carry the handles... a set of panel removal tools from Harbor Freight will make the job a whole lot easier... Let us know what you decide to do, and post a few pictures if you decide to do it yourself

Old January 11th, 2015 | 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy 2007 LTZ Tahoe Door Handles Break Easily

I have a 2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ I brought brand new. Now it has 131 k miles on it and I have had to replace 7 door handles. This is a factory problem. After handle number 4 I began replacing them myself (part cost about $85.00 takes about 1 hour). Poor quality.
Old January 30th, 2015 | 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default broken exterior door handles

I have owned a '94 suburban since 1998; I have replaced driver exterior door handle several times. I have visited many upullit junkyards. I have noticed that when looking for the door handle, 99% of the driverside exterior door handles are broken/cracked at the keylock corner.The passenger side door handles always ok. I have just recently ordered a new one from dealer in El Paso, Tx at 92$ with tax.I like Chevrolet, but this has to be a design issue must be addressed on newer models. Just wanted to share my experience with this problem.UOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;222776]<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you for providing your information. I attempted to PM you, however, it appears that you have chosen not to receive PM's, therefore I will post on the forum.

You stated that you have had several handles replaced. Have you ever contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? Were they all replaced at the same dealership?

I would like to look into this further for you. If you have contacted Customer Service, please provide the Service Request number. If not, I would like to set-up a case for you regarding this issue. Please send the following additional information: your full name, address, phone number, actual vehicle mileage and the name and city of your dealer.

Please feel free to email your information to my direct email address listed below (located in the signature area). If you are not comfortable providing your information via email, please feel free to contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at: 1-800-222-1020. Any agent will be able to assist you further. Agents are available Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service[/QUOTE]
Old January 30th, 2015 | 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default broken exterior door handles

I am Ed Gutierrez, I have already overhauled my 5.7 engine once. I have spoken to the dealer about this issue before when buying other parts since my truck is old. My chevy dealer is in El Paso, Tx (Rudolph Chevrolet) on Gateway East
Originally Posted by edgeguti
I have owned a '94 suburban since 1998; I have replaced driver exterior door handle several times. I have visited many upullit junkyards. I have noticed that when looking for the door handle, 99% of the driverside exterior door handles are broken/cracked at the keylock corner.The passenger side door handles always ok. I have just recently ordered a new one from dealer in El Paso, Tx at 92$ with tax.I like Chevrolet, but this has to be a design issue must be addressed on newer models. Just wanted to share my experience with this problem.UOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;222776]<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Thank you for providing your information. I attempted to PM you, however, it appears that you have chosen not to receive PM's, therefore I will post on the forum.

You stated that you have had several handles replaced. Have you ever contacted Customer Service regarding this issue? Were they all replaced at the same dealership?

I would like to look into this further for you. If you have contacted Customer Service, please provide the Service Request number. If not, I would like to set-up a case for you regarding this issue. Please send the following additional information: your full name, address, phone number, actual vehicle mileage and the name and city of your dealer.

Please feel free to email your information to my direct email address listed below (located in the signature area). If you are not comfortable providing your information via email, please feel free to contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at: 1-800-222-1020. Any agent will be able to assist you further. Agents are available Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm ET; Closed Sunday.

Louis
GM Customer Service
[/QUOTE]
Old June 3rd, 2015 | 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

my 2010 rear driver side door just busted. WTF CHEVY!!! not abuse, yanked hard,etc.. truck has 72K miles & original owner. Has there been any kind of a re-call? i don't feel like paying / spending over 500.00 to have a defective problem that is CHEVY problem. any & all help would be appreciated.

thanks,
larry
Old June 4th, 2015 | 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Chevy/ GMC door handles

I have had several door handles break at the front bolt. You can buy the replacements for $99 on Amazon for all 4! I have started to use plastic epoxy to reinforce the plastic post on the front before I install it and it works. Didn't take any pictures with the first one but will when I do the next one.
Old June 17th, 2015 | 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Can you help with broken door handle?

Hi Louis,
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali that I absolutely love. But the from passenger exterior door handle is coming off. The door still opens, but when I pull on the handle it separates from the door. Is this a defect that might be covered by GMC?

My VIN is 1GKFK66847J238799

Thank you so much for any help or advice that you can offer.

Teresa Meier
612-414-4266

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Bonnie Parmenter,

I would like to look into this issue further for you. Could you please PM me your VIN number and the name of the dealer you worked with?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 18th, 2015 | 8:28 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Tkmeier
Hi Louis,
I have a 2007 Yukon Denali that I absolutely love. But the from passenger exterior door handle is coming off. The door still opens, but when I pull on the handle it separates from the door. Is this a defect that might be covered by GMC?

My VIN is 1GKFK66847J238799

Thank you so much for any help or advice that you can offer.

Teresa Meier
612-414-4266
Hi there!

We'd be more than happy to further research your door handle concern. Can you send your preferred dealership and current mileage in a private message? For your safety, we also recommend deleting your personal information from this public post.

We look forward to your message, Teresa!

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 19th, 2015 | 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

mine too its my 2 rear door handles that have pulled away from the body
Old July 2nd, 2015 | 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Here we go again.....

....number five door handle now broken, driver's side front.....geez GM, really?! If I can't trust that you build a sturdy door handle, what's the quality like for the rest of the truck?

Massively disappointed with my 2008 Av, this thing's had so many quality problems and has cost me so much money in repairs....I just won't be able to ever buy another GM product again. Three handles at, on average $180 repaired at the stealership, two handles repaired with $29 Amazon handle and about an hour of my time each incident, two door-lock actuators, rear main leak at 3K miles (trans had to be pulled..), two park-assist sensors (these things are total POS!) on average $380 each time to get fixed at the stealership, starter issues (bendix not releasing from flywheel - still need to have this addressed - I'm sure will cost an arm and a leg to get fixed at the stealership), side mirrors moving on their own, massive lifter tick upon start up.......

Chevrolet Customer Care, if there's anything you feel you can do, please PM me......

Quick Reply: Broken Exterior Door Handles