Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

can the dealer install a limited slip in my '09 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2012, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can the dealer install a limited slip in my '09 4x4?

Hey guys. I have a 2009 Suburban with four wheel drive (2W, auto, 4H and 4L).
No limited slip rear differential.

So am I right that in auto and 4H, since I don't have limited slip and am at best really getting power to one rear wheel and one front?

But my real question I guess is whether the dealer can install a limited slip differential, if that will give me 3 wheel drive, and if its more complicated than that.

thanks!
Todd in KY
Old April 30th, 2012, 8:12 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes and No

Although technically if you get positioned 'correctly' off road (or even on) you will be sending power to 2 of the 4 wheels (even in 4WD), you aren't likely to need this...

I had a Wrangler on 35s with rear AND front lockers. I'd lift 2 wheels (sometimes 3) OFF the ground. I needed a locker / limited slip.

These things are so big and heavy, as well as have traction control...

A limited slip means there's a limited ability for the diff to slip, it attempts through gears or a clutch pack to spin both (in this case rear) wheels... a LOCKER will lock the axle solid and force both to move no matter what (until something breaks).

Unless you plan to rock crawl with your Burban, I think you will be just fine.

The dealer can most likely install one, however I think you'll find that your rain, snow, and even light duty off road traction will be just fine.

The suburban is too big / heavy / low ground clearance for any real off road action... and in the snow a limited slip / rear locker is more likely to slide left/right than an open diff...

Drive it as it and save your $.
Old April 30th, 2012, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

I don't do any offroading, and am just wanting to maximize my forward progress in street snow.

I guess that the traction control does serve as a quasi-limited slip device, by applying the brake to a spinning wheel. I have also received counsel that I may be better off investing in some wheels and snow tires for the few months each year where snow is an issue.

If the installation of a limited slip is a "simple" drop in that the dealer could handle, I might think about that.
Old April 30th, 2012, 4:20 PM
CF Senior Member

I am going to offer a different opinion. I had a k 1500 blazer with 4 wd. I got high centered in a mound of snow some 28yrs ago. I thought 4wd was the be all end all at the time and knew nothing of lockers or limited slips. I watched as
My k1500 spun one front wheel and one rear wheel, on asphalt, no less. I learned a valuable lesson that night, never buy a 4wd without limited slip and it was the first option that I asked for.
Now that's my opinion. The traction control may negate this need in light snow but in the heavy 24 inch snow, I have never gotten stuck with the limited slip.
That has been the case for every blazer, Tahoe, Suburban and s10 blazer that I or my wife has owned.

IMHO though.
Old April 30th, 2012, 6:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by powernoodle
I don't do any offroading, and am just wanting to maximize my forward progress in street snow.

I guess that the traction control does serve as a quasi-limited slip device, by applying the brake to a spinning wheel. I have also received counsel that I may be better off investing in some wheels and snow tires for the few months each year where snow is an issue.

If the installation of a limited slip is a "simple" drop in that the dealer could handle, I might think about that.
Just for snow, your prolly best to just leave it open. unless you got a pile of cash you just wanna burn, then yeah limited slip has a few advantages to it, but most of those are things other than forward movement during snow season.

I agree, your prolly best (and far more cost effective) to get you a set of snow tires.

:chug:
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Junior Member

Not having limited slip can be a PITA but I don't see it being worth an expensive modification given how little snow we get around here. Will you be unable to get to your job without it? That would be my decision-maker.
Old May 1st, 2012, 7:27 AM
CF Addict

Default snow

24" of snow, that sounds fun...

I was stopped up hill in 6" of snow in my 09... i turned off the T/C for S&G (****s and giggles).... floored it. spun all 4 wheels up to 30 MPH. truck moved 1 foot if that.

Turned T/C back ON... floored it, truck took off like a rocket. no wheel slip, no sliding, just GOES.

Take this thing to a snow covered parking lot and play with it.

GM actually did a good job with the T/C and Stability control.

Turn them off and you can spin doughnuts
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:32 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
24" of snow, that sounds fun...

I was stopped up hill in 6" of snow in my 09... i turned off the T/C for S&G (****s and giggles).... floored it. spun all 4 wheels up to 30 MPH. truck moved 1 foot if that.

Turned T/C back ON... floored it, truck took off like a rocket. no wheel slip, no sliding, just GOES.

Take this thing to a snow covered parking lot and play with it.

GM actually did a good job with the T/C and Stability control.

Turn them off and you can spin doughnuts
yeah thats what I'm not able to speak to. I've never got to play in anything with traction control...

I'd like to someday. lol

:chug:
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:47 AM
CF Addict

Default T/C

lots of videos

Extreme Traction-Control Test - YouTube

Next one for me is most likely a Ford... I'm so sick of my Chevy.
Old May 1st, 2012, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

They don't put the G80's in them anymore?

Quick Reply: can the dealer install a limited slip in my '09 4x4?