Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Can you make heads or tails of this?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2006, 8:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can you make heads or tails of this?

lg
I had the same harness and wires thatarepictured at the begining of this thread. I took the single wire from that brn harness and added about 15" of wire to the end of it,it was not long enough to get to the junction box left of the brake pedel. Then IT'ed, notspliced, into the grn/wht wire in the back of thejuction box which is apain in the *** to get to.
From the sounds ofit I should ofjust got the kit from jpcustoms but what is done is done.
By the way I will be taking a trip about 3 hours from home Tue night and will give the nav a full work out, I will post If their is any Ill effectsfrom not wiring the onstar.
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are correct! That green white wire is a pain in the butt to get too!

So did you run the two wires from the back of the onstar in the the C1 connector pins 4 & 5? If you did, do youhave a whinning noise?
Old December 18th, 2006, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

lg
I didnot wire C1 to the on star yet and may not. I will take a closer at it when I in stall the lockpick on thur day or Fri. As for you whinning noise is it allways present or just when you listen to radio or xm? In the past when I have installed other radios their is more than likely a bad ground some where when this happens. But this is comnig from a shade tree mechanic not a pro installer.
Another thing I notice about the nav unit is that I can always hear the nav disc turning in the head unit, even when the truck is off with the key removed. I just seems like the unit never shuts completely off. Any one else notice this?
Old December 18th, 2006, 3:31 PM
CF Addict

Yes, my nav disk is constantly active also. there have been some posts on this and it is common and is supposed to take place.

The whinning noise is pretty constant with the throttle when accelerating. The whinning started just since I connected the onstar wires to c1 pins 4 & 5. I was just wondering if you wired them up and if you had the same whine? If you do complete it please let me know if this happens to you as well. Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2006, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as far as the whinning goes 99.9 % of the time its a bad ground.
Old December 18th, 2006, 5:47 PM
CF Addict

So, if the noise started with the last 2 wires. They were from the onstar module to the C1 Harness at the back of the factory radio. SO that didnt involve a grounddid it? Wonder what the heck it could be.
Old December 24th, 2006, 2:06 PM
CF Active Member

Can anyone please verify if the wire location shown in the attached picture of the back of the junction box is the correct location of the VSS signal that goes to C4 Pin 5 on the nav radio?

BIG, is this what yours looked like?

Thanks in advance

[IMG]local://upfiles/4713/AAA8E026ACCE4E0C80D2E175E534EC51.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 24th, 2006, 2:20 PM
CF Addict

Yes, that looks correct. The green/white wire was in that area! If you got the kit from JP customs that wire is already in the harness that goes in the back of the radio. Therefore I cant confirm the connector pin location since I just plugged the harness in ran the wire to the junction box and spliced into the green/white wire.
Old December 24th, 2006, 3:54 PM
CF Senior Member

Damn konasmrz, how the heck did you get that junction box turned all the way around like that!? I wish I could get mine to do that.

Old December 24th, 2006, 4:38 PM
CF Active Member

.....just unplug everything on the front first, lift up off the hooks,then twist it around.

Quick Reply: Can you make heads or tails of this?