Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2011, 5:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel smell

Hi all,

Can anyone help me out with a fuel smell issue i'm having with my 02' Suburban Z71. There is a fuel smell i'm getting from what seems to be coming from the back of cabin. I have removed the fuel tank to inspect the seals around the sender unti and the hoses for leaks and that is all ok. I'm wondering if the charcoal canister is not doing it's job correctly?
If anyone has any idea or has had the same problem and can help me out it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Old December 15th, 2011, 6:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this with or without the blower on? When you have the blower on, you're pumping air into the cabin. Any smell/fumes then come through the HVAC system and out the air outlets.
Old December 16th, 2011, 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

it does it wether or not the blower is on.
Old December 16th, 2011, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this vehicle is new to you, maybe there was a fuel spill inside the cabin or something. As for the charcoal canister, I doubt it. The MIL will be lit for any EVAP leak. If there were a fuel leak, there wouldn't be MIL but you should be able to smell it outside. Other than that, it's hard to tell from here.
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If its coming from the back of the cabin it might be worth checking the filler neck and hose for any leakage, I agree that the EVAP system should be showing an issue but its worth check the filler tube and the rear of the tank for any fuel seepage... the hoses should all be dry, any signs of oily residue is a good sign of a leak....

Make sure your check engine light is coming with the key in ignition on engine off position, if its not your check engine light could be out and you are not seeing the EVAP code...
Old December 18th, 2011, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

Thanks for the imput guys, appreciate it. I found a small leak at the back of the motor from the fuel line that goes to the fuel rail, and it was running down on the auto transmission so hopefully that's the cause of the smell.

Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2011, 7:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

good find and hopefully that does resolve it... thanks for reporting back as that is what makes the forum work