Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Gas smell after fill up

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kweenkesha
I have a 2007 suburban and the check engine light came on. I noticed that when I filled up with gas there was a strong smell afterwards, and also it was leaking gas. After I drove off the gas was no longer leaking. Any ideas why that is happening, and how I can get it fixed?
Welcome to the forum.
Where was it leaking from?
Do you stop filling at the first click shut off or do you go for the few extra clicks to top off?
You will need to have the codes read to see what the possible causes are, any respectable auto parts store should be able to retrieve the codes for you for free.
Are you wanting to make the repairs yourself or have them done?
Old July 15th, 2015, 3:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas smell after fill up

I Replaced my fuel pump a year ago Want I top off my tahoe gas was coming out from the bottom of my tahoe what is the problem...help please
Old July 16th, 2015, 5:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawaii 808
I Replaced my fuel pump a year ago Want I top off my tahoe gas was coming out from the bottom of my tahoe what is the problem...help please
Welcome to the forum...
You have a leak that you will need to inspect for....
Its possible the overflow is coming from the vent tube.. do you have any check engine lights on?
Old May 25th, 2020, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

I also just bought a suburban. I filled it up for the first time and well gas just poured out of it. I drove the truck all weak until the gas got low. I have to work in a gravel driveway so wanted the fuel tank light. When I was disconnecting the connectors I noticed one of the lines on evap box had a broken nipple. I went ahead and dropped the tank. It is pretty dirty and would assume u would be able to see where the fuel ran across the tank. Doesn't appear so. Will those lined leak actual gas?

And lots of fuel maybe a gal or 2. Truck threw an evap code alao.
Old March 12th, 2021, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Just bought a 1997 Chevrolet Suburban C1500 with 93k miles on it. Filled the tank up last and this morning could smell the gas as soon as I came outside. steady drip drip onto pavement at a rate of every 1-2 seconds at the very rear of the car. I couldn't make out the exact source of leaking when i crawled underneath but I was able to tell that the area was somewhere above the tank or possible on the top of the tank. No change in fuel gauge. Drove around some and there didn't seem to be noticeable performance issues. No check engine lights or any kind of lights on