Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Gearshift lever interlock

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearshift lever interlock

On my 99 Suburban, sometimes it will not come out of park. Truck starts OK, just the lever will not move like the interlock from the brake pedal (yes, I am pressing it down) is malfunctioning. I have ot mess with it a while and then the lever will move.
Is this a mechanical or electrical interlock? Any advice on how to check and/or disable it?
Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2012, 6:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's electric, called brake transaxle shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid. With the shift lever in PARK, you should hear a "snick" noise when you step on the brake pedal.
Old February 8th, 2012, 6:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. Do you know where its located and is it something that is owner replaceble?
Old February 8th, 2012, 7:57 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
It's electric, called brake transaxle shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid. With the shift lever in PARK, you should hear a "snick" noise when you step on the brake pedal.
EinST you know "snick" is a highly technical term and laypersons arn't supposed to know about it...

You might try checking the connections to the stop lamp switch that is actuated by the pressing the brake peddle, as I believe this is what activates the lock release solenoid...
If you can easily get the switch out you might check out its operation to make sure its working before going for the solenoid as I think its a bit harder to get too...
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not bad when the shift lever is on the floor but usually a major pain when it's on the steering column. The, ahem, "snick" noise will tell where the solenoid is located. The voltage to it comes through the PNP switch and then the stop lamp switch (or was it vice versa?). That's the reason for qualified "shift lever in PARK" and "step on the brake pedal."
Old February 9th, 2012, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Listened this morning and heard "the snick". So of course it worked OK. Thanks for the replies. I now know what to look for!
Old February 9th, 2012, 2:25 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Of course it will wait till you are in a hurry to not work..
If it acts up again I would start with the switch attached (not really attached but activated by) the brake peddle...The contacts could be getting dirty or the plunger that activates it is getting dry and not sliding like it should and may need some light grease applied....
Old February 17th, 2012, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

No response in a few days so it must be solved by now. One thought if not: sure sounds to me like the brake pedal limit switch (or whatever it's called). If the shift lever locks up again try checking to see if your brake lights light up when you press the brake pedal. If you get brake lights but the shift lever stays locked, your brake switch is likely good.