Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2008, 4:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?

I guess the previous model 7100 series would answer my questions. I asked about a year ago but no one ever had. I went locally here but they wanted over $2500.00 and I saw it as cheap online under $1200 with none of the needed modules. The local guys say they use the factory XM antenna too. Any experience or advice such as a parts list of needed things would be great. I'm willing to pay someone who knows $400 but I'll just put it in myself for the kind of money the locals want. It can't be over 4 or 5 hours for someone who never did it before.

Thanks... Gary

Old November 9th, 2008, 6:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?

Need to know what its going into, and what kind of options you want with it....ipod adaptor, xm or sirius adaptor, bluetooth
Old November 9th, 2008, 9:54 PM
CF Active Member

It's going into a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with factory radio, rear center DVD player, factory XM radio. I'd like to use the factory XM antenna if that's possible as I've heard it was. I really like the Garmin Nuvi line and that's built into the Kenwoods.

Thanks... Gary
Old November 10th, 2008, 7:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty sure you cant use the factory antennae, and even if you could you would still need the compatible module that kenwood makes for xm to use with the 8120. I work for a stereo installation company and ive done a few tahoes/yukons/and escalades. in fact i installed an 8019 in mine yesterday. the module is needed so the information can be sent ot the tv such as station info and what not. you would though need the bose/onstar module for your car.
Old November 10th, 2008, 7:17 AM
CF Active Member

I was told I'd need everything like you said. I'm assuming they just connected the new jack/module to the old wire. That's what I was hoping at least.In any case do you know what parts are needed to do the entire thing? Also I once removed the wood looking plastic panel to polish it but I seem to have forgotten how I removed it. Wasn't there something on here at one time that had pictures of the removal? Maybe LG or someone posted it.

Thanks... Gary
Old November 10th, 2008, 7:52 AM
CF Active Member

The wood panel around the radio is held on by clips only but be gentle cause it is fragile you need to put force on the points where the clips are only. Ill look into the parts you need exactly.
Old November 10th, 2008, 2:53 PM
Banned

You'll need to wire the audio\video outputs directly to the overhead video to make it work. The wires can be found at the radio. You'l also need to power up the infared transmitter attached to the overhead for the wireless headphones to work
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:36 AM
CF Active Member

Hopefully Crutchfield's different modules that supposedly do it all in the way of making the chimes work, the rear DVD player work and the steering wheel radio control buttons all work. They've said the steering wheel control adapter is a bit tricky and doesn't just plug in. Anyone have any experience on it?

Thanks... Gary
Old November 15th, 2008, 7:17 AM
CF Active Member

if im not mistaken the module gives u the cable for steering wheel controls.. but you are going to need a kenwood steering wheel control module peswiackj (or something like that) which receives signal from the module for the car and sends to the kenwood tv. programming is a little tricky but it comes with step by step instructions that are easy if you follow it
Old November 15th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

The SWIJACK module is the best option for the kenwood. It is a hardwire option instead of using infared. it comes with instructions and where to find the factory steering wheel control wire under the dash. I believe it is at the BCM, Green connector, Green wire, Pin 6. And 1 tip that I have from experience, always test the module before you button it all up. Almost always there are a couple functions that are backwards. You just have to reprogram them, but rememebr which ones were backwards and program the functions in the oposite order. Also make sure the battery is fully charged when doing this. Programming the module whent he battery is in a low state, will cause it to not function properly when the truck is running due to the voltage differences

Also the question about using th factory antenna, Yes you can use it. I just did one yesterday. You can buy an adaptor, or you can just cut the end of the connector off, put it onto the antenna port, and tape it up so it doesn't fall off.

What kind of modules are you getting from crutchfield?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a Kenwood 8120 GPS yet?