Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
View Poll Results: What the best SUV
Tahoe
100.00%
Yukon
0%
TB
0%
Other
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

help: Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2011, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like there are alot of problems with door locks. Is Chevy doing something about this? Can't get the locks except for passager front door to work. First it was driver than back door driver side then back door passanger. What is going on? You pay a lot of money for a nice vehicle and then door locks dont work! Is there a recall? What can be done without spending loads of money for a repair job?
Old August 21st, 2011, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

How would I find out where the Keyless entry reciever antenna is located on my Suburban?
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

After further researching, I found what I think is the problem / Soulution.

My dash is also just started displaying "Check Tire Pressure Monitoring System".

I had no idea the two issues were related, but they are.

Here is the Bulletin I found at the ls1tech website....

he following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
The vehicle may exhibit one or more of the following conditions:

The RCDLR and RKE Transmitters will not function after the serial data bus has gone to sleep.
Intermittently inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) - A condition of intermittent operation of the RKE transmitters (key fobs) has been identified.
Poor RKE range and/or Service Tire Monitor System message
RKE inoperative after programming any module on the vehicle
New RKE transmitters cannot be programmed
Vehicle may display low fob battery.
The RKE and Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) are functions of the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) with the exception of the 2006 Lucerne which uses the EBCM for Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) since there are no tire pressure sensors mounted inside the wheels.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Note:: When programming a new or existing RCDLR the programming instructions in SI for the must be followed. On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), if the tire type and tire pressure are not selected in module setup on the Tech 2, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.

RCDLR and both RKE Transmitters Will Not Function After the Serial Data Bus Has Gone to Sleep:
⇒ Open the drivers door to wake up the serial data bus, then verify the RCDLR functions normally, both transmitter will function.

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

⇒ If RKE will not function open drivers door to wake up serial data bus.

⇒ Replace the RCDLR .

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest software available in TIS (New S/W released 9/18/06)

⇒ Steps to follow after programming, refer to SI Control Module References for RCDLR.

⇒ Verify RKE functions after vehicle serial data bus off conditions, 12 - 15 minutes from off powermode. (vehicle doors must be closed, keys out of vehicle and no scan tool connected).

Intermittently Inoperative Remote Keyless Entry (RKE): One or more RKE transmitters will not program or function.

Note: If both transmitters will not function confirm item A above.

⇒ Verify concern and attempt to relearn the transmitter(s) to the vehicle.

⇒ If the transmitter operation returns to normal following the relearn function, the inoperative condition may return, new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition.

⇒ If the transmitter operation does not return to normal after transmitter learn, press and hold the Lock, Unlock and Panic buttons simultaneously. Attempt to relearn transmitter(s). The inoperative condition may return, new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition.

⇒ If neither method will restore the transmitter function. New RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006 to correct the condition. (note: current service stock may correct the condition temporally)

Poor RKE Range and/or Service Tire Monitor System (TPM lost individual sensor data) (Applies to Car models only Impala, Monte Carlo, DTC and Lucerne):

⇒ Follow the diagnostic system check, are there any related DTCs? Are there any DTCs in the RCDLR? If yes follow published diagnostics.

⇒ Verify External Antenna Coax connections at the RCDLR and at the glass.

⇒ Check for proper coax ground attachment of the antenna cable.

⇒ If all checks OK secure the ground attachment on the coax with a self tapping screw, securing it to the (A pillar Impala and Monte Carlo Only) and in (D pillar for DTS and Lucerne.

⇒ If securing the ground attachment on the coax does not restore the RKE range replace the RCDLR and follow programming and setup procedures.

Note: Verify you are using TIS to Web or the latest TIS calibrations so the RCDLR will be programmed with the updated software.

RKE becomes inoperative while programming another module on the vehicle: This may occur during programming of any module on the vehicle or from normal operation.

⇒ Do not replace the RCDLR

⇒ Program RCDLR with the latest S/W available in TIS (New S/W released 9-18-06)

New RKE Transmitters Will Not Program or Inoperative

⇒ Press Lock, Unlock and Panic together and hold for 3-5 seconds.

⇒ Perform transmitter learn procedure.

⇒ Verify all functions. This can be done using the scan tool and monitoring the transmitter commands.

⇒ If programming is unsuccessful, new RKE transmitters will be available late October 2006.

If the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.

⇒ Press and hold the lock, unlock and panic buttons to restore transmitter function. Attempt to relearn the transmitters.

⇒ If complete function is restored in the RKE system. The condition may return, new RKE Transmitters will be available in late October 2006.

⇒ If the transmitter function will not return to normal, current service stock may fix the condition temporally new RKE transmitters will be available in late October 2006.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Old August 24th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default 99 Suburban, none of the electric locks work.

I recently bought my 99 Suburban but the previous owner lost the remote for locking/unlocking the doors. During the initial weeks of owning it I could hear a click in the drivers door while trying to lock & unlock the doors via the main switch on the door. The rear door switch on the dash that unlocks the back door & glass worked fine. Neither of these options work anymore. Zero sound while pressing the drivers main lock/unlock switch, dash switch no longer works period.

Does this mean that I should buy the $100 driver door acuator? Power lock relay? Should I post a new thread since my Sub. is a 99?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old December 21st, 2011, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Had a similar problem and it was a small relay module on the fuse block on the firewall above your left foot.

Best bet is to take it to dealer service and have them fix it. It's still under warranty isn't it?
Brought my Sub in for service. ('04). Had to take dash apart to fix actuator door flap for heating/ac. When car was picked up, both rear doors will not unlock with driver master switch or fob. Chevy says BOTH rear door actuators must have died simultaneously!! I have to believe that an unlock fuse or something logical would be a better thought. Any ideas.....please!!!!!
Old December 24th, 2011, 1:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SBlitzerDr
Brought my Sub in for service. ('04). Had to take dash apart to fix actuator door flap for heating/ac. When car was picked up, both rear doors will not unlock with driver master switch or fob. Chevy says BOTH rear door actuators must have died simultaneously!! I have to believe that an unlock fuse or something logical would be a better thought. Any ideas.....please!!!!!
I've having the same issue with my '98. Power door locks would stay "Activated", draining the battery. I took the realy out which was located up inside the dash near where that actuator door flap is located. I wonder if there's a chance they disconnected or damaged the relay doing that flap. They are closed together.
My auto locks are disconnected now but without the door lock relay, at least I'm not draining the battery. Cheap junk components in the electrical area in the 98's. Looks like they haven't solved that problem. The lock relay is black with the maker being Potter & Brumfield VBA-2002 on it.

My '94 Caprice is still in full working condition (all options working except for A/C and a stripped rear wiper arm. Hardly put a dime into it except for a water pump and spark plug wires. This 'burb is driving me crazy. Variable speed steering is certainly variable. Good radio though.

Last edited by legolas894; December 24th, 2011 at 1:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old January 1st, 2012, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone know of chevy doing anything about the whole power lock issue? I have 08 silverado 1500 crew and had the driver door lock replaced about 2 months ago and now the driver rear door lock is out with my 3Y/36000 warranty, Anyone know if the 5Y/100000 warranty covers this?
Old January 1st, 2012, 7:50 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

welcome to the forum...
Your 3/36 would have covered the locks, the 5/100k is limited to the power train and even that is limited to certain electronic items in that system. Chevrolet Customer Service should be logging back on come Monday so they may be able to provide more answers to your question, however you may want to check with your dealer that did the work as they may do it out of customer appreciation if it is just the one lock...
Old January 1st, 2012, 9:51 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Especially if you've had your vehicle serviced there.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Just to let everyone know just got off the phone with Chevy | Help - Contact Us | Chevrolet
and no help. They want me to pay for the diagnosis which is around $100 and can't tell me if there will be anything they can do. Guess if I have to pay that much just as well pay and get it fixed. Terrible that you pay soo much for these vehicles and something this small they can't make or get right.

Quick Reply: help: Door lock problem