Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help with p0449 & p0455 codes

Old May 12th, 2010, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is true. There is a possibility the hose connectors are loose/leaking. I was told that there as a way to do a vapor test to identify leaks. The hose connectors are tricky if you aren't used to working with them. You have to squeeze the sides of the connector in order to detach the hoses from the EVAP canister vent valve. I would start with the hoses that lead the the gas tank filler neck and check the connections. However, if you STILL receive an error code, test the EVAP canister vent valve solenoid to see if it is serviceable. I also recommend talking to a parts salesman in a Chevy dealership and find out if the part (which is only $32) is replaced on a regular basis (they will probably say "yes").
Old May 13th, 2010, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

It helped me thats for sure! I'm getting p0446 but will also purchase the vent valve as well. Will also be doing the work myself also. Thanks again!
Old May 20th, 2010, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default EVAP vent valve not emissions system?

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Well it looks like you've gotten a good amount of feed back from the great community here. If you've got any other kinds of issues such as warranty work, don't be afraid to reach out to me here.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Hey Jeff,
Maybe you could explain why this problem is not covered by the emissions warranty.
I just returned from the dealer with a 0449 code and the service person was explaining that the evap vent valve had to be replaced along with a rerouting of the tubing because its location as built in the factory proved to cause the problem. Being disappointed with his answers and confusing classification of the problem, perhaps you can enlighten GM customers as to why we have to pay to have an engineering mistake remedied, or at the very least, why a dealer would not fix the problem under the emissions warranty? I do believe fuel vapor recovery is an emissions prevention component. I could be wrong. Please advise

Thank you
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I will try this before i go back to the dealer, i was charged $90 for a Dignostic test and all they could find was my battery was bad, light when away and came back the next day.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default evap vent solenoid

I had code po449 on my 2006 avalanche can't find any craked or broken hoses. Is this a dealer part only
Old May 29th, 2010, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got to work on my wifes Tahoe. I looked for cracked hoses and didn't find any, so I went ahead and changed the vent solenoid I erased the code and my wife hasn't had any check eng light. If your wondering were it is located on a 08 Tahoe it is above the spare tire. You need to remove the spare tire to change it. When you buy the part from the dealer the solenoid comes with the hose that runs from the solenoid to the EVAP cansiter and the bracket. It cost about 32 bucks. Don't know how important this is but the EVAP canister is square and it is located toward the back of the gas tank to the right of it. Thanks for everyones help hope this helps someone.
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

hfdff,
Thanks for the follow up, all to often someone gets the needed info on this forum but do not follow up to say if it worked or not, and thanks for the info on locations as that is another very useful piece of info that sometimes gets left out..
Old June 2nd, 2010, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Glad to see the part fixed your problem. I have found that this forum is a very useful sight, especially when people provide images and direction on how to diagnose problems. I would recommend taking pics of your projects and posting them here. They can sometimes be better than manuals. Look forward to hearing from you...
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Im having the same problem on my 2003 Avalanche except when my check engine light comes on I can remove my fuel cap and its under alot of pressure and my milage goes to crap. I havent had a chance to work on it yet and Im not real sure where its located.
Old July 17th, 2010, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

2006 Silverado - getting ready to address these codes PO449, PO455. Or atleast attempt to fix them. I was told to replace the solenoid (GM part# 1920-7763) I will let you know how it goes. The part ran me 110 bucks. Hope i got the right info.

Last edited by brn2ryd; July 17th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with p0449 & p0455 codes