Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2006, 5:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

I just bought a 2007 Yukon (base model no Bose). I was considering the Pioneer AVIC Z1 but man is that spendy. Is there any way to get a factory Nav in my truck and use a different amp other than a Bose system?
Old October 31st, 2006, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

I have purchased my unit from ebay, installed it; very easy swap out. When I removed my old radio, there were only 2 plugs. The new nav unit had 4 plugs. I plugged in the two that fit (the two nearest the passanger side when installed), and didn't think twice about the other two (nearest the driver side, closer to the antenna plug). When I took it to the dealer for the "unlock", 2 service guys asked if I hooked up the vehicle speed sensor and other wires. I supposed that is what the other two harnesses are for. Can anyone provide additional feedback on this? The dealer said they can do the unlock, but not program it...? If they just unlock it, will it provide accurate GPS feedback? I had a Pioneer AVIC-N1 that I never connected the vehicle speed sensor wire, and it always worked fine. Just curious to know if I should continue pursuing this and have the radio unlocked, or forget about it. Oh, the dealer said they can wire the vehicle for the speed sensor and other connections. I'm getting a quote on that tomorrow. I'm sure it won't be cheap! Thanks!
Old October 31st, 2006, 1:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have the GM factory Navigation unit you just put in? Or an aftermarket one?

I was told it was plug and play. The speed sensor is for the automatic volume control I am sure. Raising and lowering the radio volume with the speed. However, I thought it should all be plug and play unless your original factory radio didnt have this feature. Is this an LS model?
Old October 31st, 2006, 2:00 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The adapters needed to enable the voice command/prompts and route guidance, these plugs are $25 from JP Customs and a cinch to install.
Old October 31st, 2006, 9:48 AM
CF Junior Member

I looked through this thread and couldn’t find a link or part number for the 25$ adapter at JP for the voice assistance. Anyone know that?

Thanks!

Matt
Old October 31st, 2006, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

I installed the factory nav unit: 15882766. I took it back to the dealer this morning, and they said no problem. 45 minutes and $80 later, it was unlocked. I picked up an GPS antenna there, $68 (gmpartsdirect.com was on backorder), and just got finihsed installing it. Everything seems to work great! I guess the guy telling me I must have speed sensor wires hooked up was full of it. I believe I found out what the 2 additional plugs on the back of the unit 15882766 are. I believe they are connections for the rear DVD screen. I do not have this, so they are left alone. One problem I am having, I am using a "backed up" DVD nav disc. About every 15 seconds I get a "Map DVD Read Error." Is this common with a DVD map backup disc?
Old October 31st, 2006, 11:46 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You are using a back up disc of your own "original" dvd map disc, RIGHT?

I have no idea, just had to put that out there!
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Surely you backed up your original DVD. I know mine is really up to date. I can't find streets that are five years old. Did get my owner's manual insert re: the two free updates on first and second anniversarys. Can't wait.
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Certainly! I wouldn't dream of using an illegal copy of a disc... For the record, I used a different brand DL disc, and it seems to work fine now.
Old November 1st, 2006, 2:33 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

73Shark,
Most of the new street information on these discs is compiled by state, city and county mapping update info.
If Navteq doen't get the updated info they can't make the changes to the DVD's.

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe