Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
tj
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to install OEM Back-up cam on 2007 Tahoe

I would think you would want to get the "module" or some aftermarket version. It's job is to flip the image so stuff on the right side of the vehicle appears on the right side of the screen. The same thing for the left. Plugging a camera directly into a video input will throw you off when backing up.
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:20 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good point, but I can flip the image at the TV/Tuner input that I'll be running it through. I'm sure the module does that, but it seems like it's more of the interface for automatically coming on when the vehicle is put into reverse. The way I'm wiring it up, it will just always be on, which is cool for me because it will allow me to monitor my tow hitch while I'm driving.

Thanks TJ, due to your point I edited my last post.
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe

ZX1100F1,

This is not going to cost you as much as you think. I went to a parts guy that knows his ****. I gave him the VIN of my truck and he went out and took the VIN from one of the trucks on the lot that was fully loaded with the back-up camera. He cross referenced the two and came up with three wiring harnesses to hook up the factory back-up camera to the Nav. (I love heads up thinking people!) We already know about the main two parts that we need which are the camera itself and the camera module. The parts that my guy ordered today are the harness that runs from the back of the nav unit to the camera module, and then there are two other harnesses that connect to one another that run from the camera module to the camera itself in the tailgate. Two of the harnesses where $26 bucks and I believe the one from the back of the head-unit to the module is like $50. (My guy had to get off the phone quickly but apparently he had to get the numbers from GM to order overnight. So the order goes out tomorrow for a Friday delivery. He's gonna' give me the true prices and the part numbers Thursday morning.)

Tomorrow I will post all of the accurate part numbers, and the prices for this pseudo "kit" that I've put together. There are five pieces:

OEM back-up cam
Camera module (Goes underneath front passenger seat)
Head unit to module harness
Module to back-up camera harness 1
Module to back-up camera harness 2

I'm obviously going to piece all of the parts together right in the front seat of the truck first and test it out before I do the final install. If everything works well, I'll start a new thread tomorrow on a successful, low cost, OEM solution to the back up camera.
Old December 1st, 2006, 1:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have the 2007 Tahoe Navigation manual/instructions they dont need? Is there a PDF or something on the internet that I can download? Thanks.
Old December 1st, 2006, 1:32 PM
CF Senior Member

register your truck at www.mygmlink.com and you can download/print them from there.
Old December 1st, 2006, 1:50 PM
CF Addict

Perfect! I got it. Thank you very much!
Old December 3rd, 2006, 7:49 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

The parts guy at your local dealer is incorrect. You can get the rear back-up camera (UVC) without the rear Entertainment System (U42).

After further research we have uncovered a few problems with installing the Nav unit and rear Back-up Camera on certain Tahoe’s that were built without these options.

1. The wiring (at the rear and head unit) may not be present in lower level (2LT, 1LT and LS) models.
2. There is a module for the camera that is located under the passenger seat that may not be present, this would need to be installed and programmed.
3. There are issues with Voice recognition and Voice commands that require a custom wire adapter (jpcustoms has this item).

I’ll post any other problems that may surface.
I am installing the OEM navigation unit in my LT2. You state some wiring may not be present. Is this in reference to the camera only? I am not installing a camera, may there still be wiring or connectors missing?

What is this part from JPcustoms? Part number? Thanks in advance Dave.
Old December 7th, 2006, 1:32 PM
CF Addict

Ok, dropped my tahoe off this morning to have them Tech 2 my new OEM Navigation unit I installed. They said it was $70 for the tech 2. What did everyone else pay? Seems expensive!

I thought I remember Dave saying it was a 10 minute job and that at most you should pay 30 minutes labor!
Old January 18th, 2007, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: biglg

Ok, dropped my tahoe off this morning to have them Tech 2 my new OEM Navigation unit I installed. They said it was $70 for the tech 2. What did everyone else pay? Seems expensive!

I thought I remember Dave saying it was a 10 minute job and that at most you should pay 30 minutes labor!
I know this is a bit late, but I paid $85 for the Tech II work.

Overall, I'm thrilled with my new "factory" Nav. Now I just need to get the connector for the VSS connection.
Old January 18th, 2007, 5:35 AM
CF Beginner

I actually have a couple of questions. I hope someone can answer. First ..Does anyone know the part #'s for the adapters need for the voice command/prompts and route guidance purchased thru JP Customs. Second I have installed the Navigation unit and most everthing works except for the voice command and GPS seems to go in and out a lot. Will having it programed at the dealer resolve this problem?

Quick Reply: How to install OEM Nav on 2007 Tahoe