Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to relearn tire monitors

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2007, 12:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to relearn tire monitors

I have a 07 Tahoe LT3. I just rotated the tires and I'm trying to relearn the tire sensors. It's not going to happen. I read the manual and it seems simple enough but I must be doing something wrong. Can anyone help? I really dont want to bring it back to the dealer.....
Old August 12th, 2007, 1:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to relearn tire monitors

1st, make sure you have a way to reinflate close by (air compressor or short trip to gas station) When I did mine I had to let a lot of air out of each tire before the horn beeped. My pressures were real low when I was done.

Here's the procedure that worked for me. I know you said you checked manual but you must be missing something

[align=left]The TPMS sensors may also be matched to each[/align][align=left]tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing[/align][align=left]the tire's air pressure. If increasing the tire's[/align][align=left]air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation[/align][align=left]pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall.[/align][align=left]You will have two minutes to match the first[/align][align=left]tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to[/align][align=left]match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer[/align][align=left]than two minutes, to match the first tire and[/align][align=left]wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four[/align][align=left]tire and wheel positions the matching process[/align][align=left]stops and you will need to start over.[/align][align=left]The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined[/align][align=left]below:[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]1. Set the parking brake.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]2. Turn the ignition switch to RUN with the[/align][align=left] engine off.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]3. Using the DIC, press the vehicle information[/align][align=left]button until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS[/align][align=left]message displays. If your vehicle does not[/align][align=left]have the DIC buttons, press the trip odometer[/align][align=left]reset stem located on the instrument panel[/align][align=left]cluster until the RELEARN TIRE POSITIONS[/align][align=left]message displays.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]4. If your vehicle has the DIC buttons, press the[/align][align=left]set/reset button. The horn will sound twice to[/align][align=left]indicate the TPMS receiver is ready, and[/align][align=left]the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message will[/align][align=left]display. If your vehicle does not have the DIC[/align][align=left]buttons, press and hold the trip odometer[/align][align=left]reset stem until the horn chirps twice and the[/align][align=left]TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message is[/align][align=left]displayed.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]5. Start with the driver's side front tire.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]6. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap[/align][align=left]stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by[/align][align=left]increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure[/align][align=left]for five seconds, or until a horn chirp[/align][align=left]sounds. The horn chirp, which make take up[/align][align=left]to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the[/align][align=left]sensor identification code has been matched[/align][align=left]to this tire and wheel position. To decrease[/align][align=left]air-pressure out of a tire you can use the[/align][align=left]pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air[/align][align=left]pressure gage, or a key.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]7. Proceed to the passenger's side front tire, and[/align][align=left]repeat the procedure in Step 6.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]8. Proceed to the passenger's side rear tire, and[/align][align=left]repeat the procedure in Step 6[/align][align=left].[/align][align=left]9. Proceed to the driver's side rear tire, and[/align][align=left]repeat the procedure in Step 6[/align][align=left].[/align][align=left]10. After hearing the confirming horn chirp for the[/align][align=left]driver's side rear tire, the horn chirp will sound[/align][align=left]two more times to signal the tire learning[/align][align=left]mode is no longer active. Turn the ignition[/align][align=left]switch to LOCK.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]11. Set all four tires to the recommended air[/align][align=left]pressure level as indicated on the Tire[/align][align=left]and Loading Information label.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]12. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems[/align][align=left]The spare tire does not have a TPMS sensor.[/align][align=left]If you replace one of the road tires with the spare,[/align][align=left]the SERVICE TIRE MONITOR message will be[/align][align=left]displayed on the DIC screen. This message should[/align][align=left]go off once you re-install the road tire containing[/align][align=left]the TPMS sensor.[/align]
Old August 12th, 2007, 2:01 PM
CF Active Member

I had to let out quite a bit of air also, once the first tire was recognized, the others went quicker.
Old August 12th, 2007, 5:58 PM
CF Junior Member

I have tried everything repeatably add air release air at least 6 times with no luck. The most I can get is the first tire driver front. After that my time runs out and I have to start over. I guess it's back to the dealer (I hate that place).... Thanks for you're input.......
Old August 12th, 2007, 6:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have all of your caps off and be ready to go. Also use a key or something that allows you to let air out faster.Like I said you have to let a lot of air out. It's not so much how long but how fast you let it out. If you only drop a pound or two in 30 seconds it may not register.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM
CF Junior Member

I know I have done that. I increased the air pressure to 40lbs and then even removed the valve stem guts to release the air faster, thebest I could do is one wheel, driver front.....