Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installing OEM 3rd Row DVD

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 years after the original post...

Guys,
I am on the same quest - to install the OEM 3rd row dvd screen in my 2011 suburban LTZ. However, I first need to find the OEM screen from Panasonic. Can you guys provide me with the GM part number and any ideas where I can get one? I have the ebony (black) interior with gray headliner - so I'd need a gray unit.

I've talked to a couple of Chevy dealerships and no one can seem to locate any of this information. Their sources only say that the OEM screen is not available for purchase - the only way to get it was to order it as an option on your rig.

I would appreciate any help you can provide me.

thanks a lot.

B
Old April 1st, 2011, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

What brand/model has a 3rd row DVD player? Or are you just trying to put another player like the second row has?

You might check w/ gmpartsdirect.com
Old November 11th, 2015, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hullyes
Guys,
I am on the same quest - to install the OEM 3rd row dvd screen in my 2011 suburban LTZ. However, I first need to find the OEM screen from Panasonic. Can you guys provide me with the GM part number and any ideas where I can get one? I have the ebony (black) interior with gray headliner - so I'd need a gray unit.

I've talked to a couple of Chevy dealerships and no one can seem to locate any of this information. Their sources only say that the OEM screen is not available for purchase - the only way to get it was to order it as an option on your rig.

thanks a lot.

B
I was just wondering if you had finally accomplished this? What your dealer said that he felt the it was already part of the harness makes sense. If you take off your interior light, where the 3rd row monitor would be, is there a connector tucked inside that would more than likely go to a 3rd monitor if installed? It seems like from the parts list on gmpartsdirect.com, that there is only one monitor part number, but yet there are 2 different bracket part numbers, one for front dvd and one for rear dvd. someone from gmpartsdirect emailed me today and said that gm does not make a kit for it. BUT if you think about it, if say the 3rd row dvd monitor went out under warranty, they would have to replace it somehow, so it makes sense that they are probably the same part number. As far as the audio, maybe there is a switch for the IR audio for 1 and 2 built into that part of the harness or a switch on the actual monitor for this which would put audio onto two different channels. just a thought. thanks matt
Old November 16th, 2015, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Guys,

thanks a lot.

B
Did you ever figure this out? gmpartsdirect has both front and rear brackets, but only 1 dvd player. they say Chevy doesn't make a kit for it. If say you had a 3rd row dvd went out and it was under warranty, Chevy would have to replace it right? so my thinking is that they are the same, but either there is a switch for the IR blaster for 1 or 2 (2nd or 3rd row) or it is built into the harness, more than likely the first. If the two monitors are different, one with and one without IR blaster, why do the headphones have a 1, 2 switch?

Brewboy, were you ever able to figure it out? thanks matt
all help is appreciated.
Old November 17th, 2015, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

Brewboy did you ever complete this? thanks matt
Old November 17th, 2015, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Guys,

thanks a lot.

B
were ever able to complete this? thanks
Old November 18th, 2015, 2:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisdude
Brewboy did you ever complete this? thanks matt
No I bought AudioVox Advent Headrest DVD system with Game Pack it was a far better value at $1150 tax in. Plus I can swap to another vehicle.
Old January 24th, 2017, 7:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Going for the DNU upgrade to my 2009 Suburban LT

old thread new effort...
Hello everyone that has made an effort for the "DNU" 3rd row factory screen installation. and Hi Shawnvw (guru of "how-to" information and knowledge):

I am looking to install the 3rd row dvd screen too.
So far what I have pieced together: got a lot of help from this page: Avalanche - 36 Bodystyle (4WD) - Entertainment system > Chevrolet EPC Online > Nemiga.com
15881417 - ROOF CONSOLE - REAR, W/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - mounts to retainer plate below headliner - color gray
25995624 - RETAINER PLATE - REAR, W/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM - mounts to bracket above headliner
15891469 - BRACKET - VIDEO DISPLAY(3RD ROW) - mounts to the metal internal cross rails
20792277 - DISPLAY,VIDEO(GRAY)(ACDelco #20792277)

Parts that I need added info on:
25780818 - SPLITTER,VIDEO PLYR SIG

What does the signal splitter look like?
What inputs and outputs does it have?
Does it require "programming" to function (tech2 at the dealership)?
Does it come with a short harness to connect the rear screen(3rd row)?
I am assuming: no. I expect that I will need to create a short jumper harness from the signal splitter to the rear screen harness. using the previously mentioned pins and connectors.
The question is do I need to build two sets of jumper harnesses? One to go from the signal splitter to both the 2nd row Screen and the new 3rd row Screen?
And on the mentioned website it lists the following info for an overhead roof harness that connects everything for me...

item 008: HARNESS, RF ACSRY WRG (see group 16. 000 trim/interior-roof" for detailed illustrated view)

Alas, no part number for that magical harness.
*** UPDATE*** MAGICAL HARNESS:
Part Number: 25793753 ; w/auto temp cntrl w/dual DVD (Cadillac; Chevrolet; GMC)

So can anyone help me out with these questions about the signal splitter and harness requirements, please.
I appreciate this forum. it has helped me solve several issues on my rig. including the how to install the oem rearview camera... and the oil sending unit swap...
Cheers everyone!

Last edited by omandave; January 25th, 2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: updated HarnessPN for DNU dual screen
Old January 28th, 2017, 11:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Default update on the signal splitter and harness

So I spent some time going through the wiring diagrams for the UQS+Y91 with DNU rear video screen setup (07-08) and compared it with the 2009 DNU setup that utilized the video signal splitter connection...

I am not going to purchase the signal splitter because from mapping out the pinouts with and without the signal splitter, I don't see where any amplification takes place. same wires in, double wires out. the only real change is that the input X1 side of the splitter has a 16 pin connector of which 9 are used (extra pin is a shielding/ground wire) and that the signal splitter outputs, X2 (2nd row screen) and X3 (3rd row screen), each have a 10 pin connector that uses the only 8 signal pins similar to the U42 dvd screen plug interface to the panasonic oem screen. Basically 8 pins into the box, make the Y joints and then 2 X 8 pins out.

point is I think it is cheaper to buy a sacrificial screen unit off of ebay that has a Pigtail on it to use in fabricating my own "Y Cable" for feeding the video from the 2nd row to the 3rd row screens. yes, It is a long shot, but only a $70 risk. If it works I save $180-ish for the proper roof harness, and $80-ish for the signal splitter box. I also save the hassle of stripping the interior of the suburban down (removal of headliner) to replace the wire harness and reinstall it all again.

Everything is in shipping right now. if it all works out, I will be spending about $300 total for the 3rd row screen. (roof bracket and extra input plug and the pins that feed it to make a plug and play "Y-Cable" no cutting any existing factory harnesses for me.

Once all of the parts arrive I will take some pictures and post if I succeeded or if I end up with an epic fail.
first step is to make the "Y-cable" I will post that too.
2nd is to test the two screens side by side (before I cut into the 3rd row headliner to add the brackets/supports...)

wish me luck.

Last edited by omandave; January 30th, 2017 at 3:35 PM.
Old February 8th, 2017, 2:45 PM
CF Junior Member

SO I completed my DNU install. I wrote it up on its own thread here in the forums. Thanks to everyone here for the info! It helped me to successfully install the DNU 3rd row screen.
Cheers.

My write up:
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...upgrade-81581/